TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jun-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Steve_DS

Wanting to go OTA, Need some suggestions

Hello all!

I recently gave comcast the boot and am looking to move to OTA for our viewing along with streaming. I really want to make sure I get the right antenna and was hoping I could get some suggestions please. My results from TV Fool are:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c60c3ebf269e

Any help would be much appreciated! And thank you in advance!

Edit: Wanted to also add a few more things. This will be an outdoor installation, and 25' high. No obstructions. The cable run will be rather long, so I need to also know what a good pre-amp and amplifier at the split would be. Should be approximately 40' from the roof to the first split and then several 20-30' runs throughout the house.

Steve

Last edited by Steve_DS; 23-Jun-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Steve_DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2014, 4:42 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your TV Fool report shows plenty of signals that are strong enough to be received easily. If there's a challenge, it's that some signals are from odd angles relative to the main group.

There are several ways to go at this one, In order of ascending cost or complexity;

1) An RCA ANT-751R or Antennacraft HBU-11. Point toward the west... WLYH (CW) should be received through the back, while some experimentation with aim may be needed to find a sweet spot that makes WPMT (Fox) reliable. (Both are going to be limited to reception of the stronger local signals.)

2) An Antennas Direct CS5 facing west. This is a fairly directional VHF design that also offers UHF capability that is far less directional.

3) If access to the weaker signals is desired, there are several options that come to mind. Generally, two or more antennas would be used, at least one UHF and one High-VHF... We can discuss this in further detail if you like.

The cable lengths you've described are not that long. I'd try this with no amplifier.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote