Notices

Old 7-Apr-2015, 4:04 PM   #1
yzman720

New construction antenna and wiring?

My location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f02acbbb24b5

The way I have done the prewiring is -
rg6 quad shield
From antenna which will be located in the attic it will have a home run to the telecommunication box, the length of this home run is about 25'
From the telecommunications box I have 4 TV's currently and probably a 5th in the future.
tv 1 -28' wire length from telecommunication box to tv
tv 2 -20' wire length from telecommunication box to tv
tv 3 -25' wire length from telecommunication box to tv
tv 4 -45' wire length from telecommunication box to tv

My 2 questions -
1- What antenna would be the best for me to buy and install in the attic?
2- Am I still able to receive ota channels with these wire lengths that I have listed above? (25' + 45' = 70' being the longest run)
yzman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Apr-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The cable lengths you've listed are quite manageable, certainly not any reason to have concern.

If your goal is to reliably receive the major network, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC & PBS, it's doubtful that any attic mounted antenna is going to provide acceptable results. I expect that several of the weaker signals will require a full sized antenna, mounted outdoors, clear of obstructions such as trees and structures.

If I could still find an Antennacraft Y10713 I'd pair it with an Antennas Direct DB8E. The DB8E gives you access to the UHF signals (real channels 14 through 51) and the Y10713 gives you a good shot at real channels 7 through 13. If you can find the Y10713, then a combination antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P is an option to consider.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Tower Guy

In order to try an attic antenna you've got a couple of facts to consider. ABC is carried on K10KM. The angles between the UHF stations prevent the use of the highest gain antenna. The UHF antenna with high gain and a wide pattern is the DB-4e. The DB-8e can be used if the two panels are aimed in two directions. Next you need a separate VHF antenna. Couple the two antennas in a TVPRAMP-1R. Aim the VHF antenna at60 degrees. The UHF antenna should be aimed partway between the cluster toward the NE and the single station at 105 degrees.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 8-Apr-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2015, 3:05 PM   #4
yzman720

Can I place the pre amp 25-30' away from the antennas in the telecommunication box? I don't have a way to power the pre amp in the attic if it is next to the antenna. I do have power in the telecommunication box I can power the preamp with if I am able to place the preamp 25-30' away from antenna in the telecommunication box.
Also the preamp and the splitters have ground lugs. Do I need to ground both of these?

Last edited by yzman720; 14-Apr-2015 at 3:18 PM.
Old 14-Apr-2015, 3:29 PM   #5
rickbb

The pre-amp is powered through the coax and should be as close to the antenna as possible. On the mast within 2 or 3 feet of the balun is how they are designed.

The power supply is at a TV and will feed the current back up the coax.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2015, 5:05 PM   #6
yzman720

ok I appreciate the input that helps a lot!
This is what I believe I am going to go with -
An attic mount db8e and a clear stream 5 hooked into a vhf/uhf diplexer that hooks into a juice preamp next to the antennas. I will then run the coax from the juice in the attic to the telecommunications box 25-30' away into a powered 4-Output TV / CATV Distribution Amplifier. This is where I will power the pre amp and the distribution amplifier in the telecommunications box. Does this setup seem acceptable?
Antennas direct informed me no grounding is necessary at all due to this being attic mounted and all in door runs. is this accurate?
Old 14-Apr-2015, 5:09 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Antennas direct informed me no grounding is necessary at all due to this being attic mounted and all in door runs. is this accurate?
Yes. There is no code requirement to ground an antenna that's not outdoors.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2015, 5:55 PM   #8
Jake V

Just a reminder that GroundUrMast pointed out that with your signal levels an attic antenna set up might not work very well. There are too many variables. I believe his recommendation above was for an exterior antenna.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2015, 12:13 AM   #9
yzman720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Just a reminder that GroundUrMast pointed out that with your signal levels an attic antenna set up might not work very well. There are too many variables. I believe his recommendation above was for an exterior antenna.

I sure hope it works in the attic after all this time and money