TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Enthusiast's Exchange

Notices

Old 18-Jan-2014, 1:40 AM   #1
analogqueen

TSReader & USB tuner stick

About a year ago I used to play around with TSReader and VLC player. I used it to read info off of the OTA channels. I either am misremembering it but I swore it was reading off of my cheapo KWorld EDIT not kworld, that one is my rtl sdr dongle

my TV for ATSC is Diamond 750 "all in wonder" stick that Microsoft sells- to my laptop. Apparently I "imagined it all in a dream" because my stick, the only one Ive owned is not listed on TSReader site as supported hardware. This can't be as it is the only way I could have connected OTA TV to run on my laptop. I did do this, as I even showed it to Mr Analog King to show him how "neat" TSreader is (lite version, I would not have paid for the better version)

Since then I have reinstalled my OS on this laptop and apparently from much googling and searching for instructions on how I did it before, those instructions no longer exist.

I think rabbitears guy uses TSReader, is he on, and does anyone else use it with VLC player? How do you get it going? I don't have the muscle memory for it, I know it was very easy when I used it before, but it looks like either the version changed or something. I can't change channels on VLC player with the USB stick nor can I get TSreader to read off of the VLC player.

Hm any ideas on what I may have done before or how to get it to work now? do I need a different stick? and how does one use VLC player to change channels with USB stick, I dont like using the processor heavy Windows Media Center as it takes too long get it all going. any ideas

Last edited by analogqueen; 18-Jan-2014 at 2:44 AM.
analogqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jan-2014, 2:31 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I simply installed VLC from their website download. (In XP and Win-7, I won't fight with Win-8... I'm going to Ubuntu). I use the Software Center in Ubuntu to install VLC.

I have never found an interface method in the VLC GUI that will control my SiliconDust HDHR tuners. Instead, I use a utility provided by SiliconDust to set the tuner and launch VLC when streaming video to it. I've also dabbled with batch and script files to launch both the tuner and VLC... that's a work in progress, when I get back to it.

TSReader does know how to command the SiliconDust HDHR tuner, so I launch TSReader which in turn controls the tuner.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 18-Jan-2014 at 2:33 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jan-2014, 2:42 AM   #3
analogqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I simply installed VLC from their website download. (In XP and Win-7, I won't fight with Win-8... I'm going to Ubuntu). I use the Software Center in Ubuntu to install VLC.

I have never found an interface method in the VLC GUI that will control my SiliconDust HDHR tuners. Instead, I use a utility provided by SiliconDust to set the tuner and launch VLC when streaming video to it. I've also dabbled with batch and script files to launch both the tuner and VLC... that's a work in progress, when I get back to it.

TSReader does know how to command the SiliconDust HDHR tuner, so I launch TSReader which in turn controls the tuner.
OK you say a utility sets the tuner for your tuner, but I distinctly remember it not being that hard when I used it before. I would not have done something so complex for my brain. WTH how did I do it before?? I know I know I KNOW I got TSReader to show all of the channels available, and I did use VLC player. Maybe I was using Ubuntu at the time? possible. Either way...

I do recall something about launcing VLC.EXE from TSReader...

oh by the way my stick is a DIAMOND ATI Theater™ HD 750 USB TV Tuner
Bus Type: USB 2.0 | Part Number: TVW750USB"

I am using Windows now
Here's the problem, sorry if I sound befuddled and here is what I want to do: use TSReader, VLC player and Diamond TVW750U USB stick together[/B]. I used to use them, but can't seem to now, here's why

TSReader doesn't have my USB stick listed on their choices of hardware, funny because I know I used it once before, and I dont think their program has changed.

The whole process seems ultra complex to me, and I know I had it working before, probably by lucky accident, as most of my complicated projects turn out that way.

It could be that I was using Ubuntu back then as I go back and forth.

So- how does one use a USB stick with TSReader and VLC player? I dont care using which OS, just if anyone has simple instructions. I would not have done it if I had to write scripts or input frequencies or any of that nonsense.

Last edited by analogqueen; 18-Jan-2014 at 2:48 AM.
Old 18-Jan-2014, 3:28 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

I've got no experience with the Diamond TVW750U USB stick... Anyone else out there???

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jan-2014, 3:35 AM   #5
analogqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I've got no experience with the Diamond TVW750U USB stick... Anyone else out there???

Thanks anyway GUM. Why does life have to be so ruff sometimes? I just want to mess around with TSReader. Sux to be me!