TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Nov-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
brichar62

Reception Flicker

I hooked up the attic antenna to my tv in hopes of getting rid of cable. I scanned air channels and got 26 of the 28 possible. All of them give great reception for periods of time, then flicker, lose sound, sometimes go black with a No Signal message, then goes back to good reception. I tried a single tv new antenna and got identical results. I re-aimed the attic antenna and got identical results. Is this some type of interference?
brichar62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Nov-2013, 3:04 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Please post your TV Fool reception report. A height of 25' AGL would be preferred.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Nov-2013, 4:14 AM   #3
teleview

Please post a Tvfool report.

Use the Exact address to make the report.

Make antenna height above ground in the report 25 feet.

Thanks.
Old 9-Nov-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
brichar62

TVFool Report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae3a839fffb6
Old 9-Nov-2013, 1:12 PM   #5
brichar62

Ground?

I noticed your ID. Is grounding necessary for performance or just lightning protection? My antenna is currently just laying across the ceiling joists aimed at the towers.
Old 9-Nov-2013, 1:15 PM   #6
brichar62

TV Analysis

Here's a link to my report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae3a839fffb6
Old 9-Nov-2013, 6:57 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Generally, UHF and VHF antenna systems are isolated from ground at their operating frequencies and therefor will not see much effect to their performance if grounded or not. My suggestion to ground the antenna mast and coax shield is primarily motivated by a concern for safety.

Your report suggests there could be the potential for overloading. Give that you are quite close to the towers, I suspect you may also be facing strong FM signals which can be a source of interference.

So, make certain you are not using any sort of amplifier, including one built into the antenna. Try adding an FM trap to filter out some of the FM signal.

If that fails, try the antenna and trap outdoors.

What's the make and model of the antenna?

Old 9-Nov-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichar62 View Post
I re-aimed the attic antenna and got identical results. Is this some type of interference?
You have signals from multiple directions. Yet mis-aimed antennas can cause what you are observing and you can't aim a single antenna in all those directions at once. The optimum direction for you will be due west and the optimum antenna is a UHF only with a wide pattern. (Antennas Direct C-2 or DB-2)

To aim the antenna perfectly, try for the strongest signal on WDAF.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
teleview

Attics Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

Try locating the antenna at different locations all over the attic try adjusting aim of the antenna in the attic.

The Digital Broadcast Tv reception is Very Strong Signal Strength , do not use a antenna system amplifier in the attic.

The first digital channel of the Tvfool report KCPT-PBS , is High Lighted with Red , this means the signal is over the top strong.

A amplifier will most likely over load and be the cause of bad reception of one or more channels.

For better reception install a Channel Master CM4228HD antenna above the peak of the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , West , North West , South West.

The Winegard DS3000 , J pole type antenna mount works Ok with the CM4228HD antenna.

Here are some more antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) , in the solidsignal search box or buy from , www.ronard.com

-------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc.

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.channelmasterstore.com

www.winegarddirect.com

-------

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

---------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

--------------

As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception ,

Some and not the only Negative Effects are ,

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting signals bouncing around.

and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own , roof , attic , house.

The Best Practice is to install the CM4228HD antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

---------

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 11-Nov-2013 at 6:29 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 10-Nov-2013, 5:57 PM   #10
brichar62

Thanks

I could not find a manufacturer on the antenna, and it doesn't seem to have an amplifier. I'm not convinced it's the antenna itself since the store bought one behaved the same way. I've been watching for about 20 minutes today with only one minor flicker. I wish I could see the waves...
Old 10-Nov-2013, 6:50 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

If you opt for a new antenna, the Antennas Direct C-2 and DB2e are excellent choices. I would expect the CM-4228 would be too directional.

Be sure to avoid trees or other vegetation that would block the antennas view toward the west.

Old 14-Dec-2013, 7:07 PM   #12
brichar62

Since my last post, I replaced the flat 300 ohm wire with 75 ohm coax and installed a filter. I'm getting more channels with very good reception. KCMO CBS TV 5 is the worst, followed by WDAF Fox 4 KC and KSHB NBC 41. This is not a constant. Sometimes the reception is excellent, mainly during cloudy conditions or late at night. It could be my antenna is too directional. I may look into one of the antennas you suggested. Who would sell these?
Old 14-Dec-2013, 8:18 PM   #13
teleview

+=>
------
www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com