TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Oct-2013, 5:56 PM   #1
mikka_x

Question Can't get certain channel

Hello!

I have an RCA ANT751 antenna with a preamp, attic mounted, splitter for two TVs. Here is my Signal Analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeddfd04c9e9

My question is why can't I get Channel 16.1, WUSF-DT at all? I have tried adjusting the position of the antenna, tried w/out the preamp, with the preamp and nothing. Pretty much all other channels come in at full strength. Looking for a solution besides the obvious move the antenna outside

Thanks.
mikka_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2013, 6:20 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Consider "testing" reception outside. Simply use the ANT-751, a cable not longer than 50' and one TV. Can you see WUSF in that configuration?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2013, 7:06 PM   #3
mikka_x

With Just one TV (the one furthest from the antenna) hooked up in my current configuration I was getting channel 16. Now, with 2 TVs it won't come in at all, zero signal.

I tried changing the splitter, cables (were I could), and moved the antenna about a foot inside the attic.
Old 27-Oct-2013, 7:14 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

What's the make/model of preamp? (The wrong choice of preamp can cause you more trouble than it solves.)

I'm still very suspicious of the attic environment... I've seen reception trouble with better signal levels and higher performance antennas in attics.

Old 27-Oct-2013, 7:18 PM   #5
mikka_x

It is an RCA TVPRAMP1R Outdoor Antenna Preamplifier.

I choose the attic install out of convenience. All the cables and an electrical outlet are right near my attic access hatch.

I tried without the preamp and got almost no channels. Would I still need the preamp if I ended up moving the antenna outside?
Old 27-Oct-2013, 7:54 PM   #6
teleview

Practical And Useful Information.

As a Test install the ANT751 antenna above the roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , South West , South , South East , East , North.

Aim the ANT751 antenna at about 125 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 11-Nov-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Oct-2013, 8:58 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I tried without the preamp and got almost no channels.
Hmm... That indicates that either you had a bad cable, bad antenna, or a "bad" attic or an outside signal obstruction that cannot be calculated.

Such an attic would be one that has any of the following: Metal roof, stone or tile roof, radiant barrier, decking with radiant barrier on the top, TechShield shingles, "shooting through a gable that has metal or cement content, or similar. For a simple layout that you've described and from your TVfool plot, there should be sufficient signal power at your address such that you could run multiple TV sets throughout the whole house without ever using an amp.

Outside obstructions would be houses or other buildings or trees in the signal path to your attic.

Quote:
moved the antenna about a foot inside the attic.
A whole foot? Think bigger. Try EVERYWHERE in the attic. Attics are black holes for signals and you have to explore them to see if you can find a "sweet spot". Be patient and be persistent.

The next measure is the obvious one and you already know what it is.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2013, 9:38 PM   #8
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

If the amplifier power supply and power injector are on one side of the splitter and the actual amplifier unit is on the other side of the splitter.

Then the splitter must be a power passing type splitter so power can get to the amplifier unit.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Oct-2013 at 9:42 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 3-Nov-2013, 1:07 PM   #9
mikka_x

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give them a try and report back.
Old 9-Nov-2013, 1:14 PM   #10
mikka_x

I moved the antenna outside, mounted to the side of my house. Solved ALL the problems. Thanks for all the help.
Old 9-Nov-2013, 1:56 PM   #11
teleview

You antenna Installed on side of house.

I still recomend install the antenna above the roof of the house in such a manner the the roof and house are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception to the , south west , south , south east , east , north.

Aim the antenna at about 125 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 10-Nov-2013 at 3:16 AM.
Old 9-Nov-2013, 7:01 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

A wise person with poor grammar once said, "Don't fix it if it aint broke".

To others reading this thread, I agree with the general wisdom of mounting high and clear of obstructions.