TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Nov-2013, 5:35 PM   #1
JJH

Starting from scratch could use some advice

I am requesting suggestions and recommendations for an antenna, preamp and, antenna placement I would need to pick up WETM channel 18 at my location. I'm not looking to pick up any VHF channels listed in the report so hopefully that will simplify things.
Getting ready to cancel cable and this channel is a must. Here's the link to my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeb1d4842580

Is this a long shot? antennaweb doesn't even list this station as an
option.

I need to split to 3 tvs and will use an estimated 150' of cable. I have a cheap indoor/outdoor rca omni that I can get the other stations with. If the suggested antenna is extremely directional and would need to keep the omni, than I could also use suggestions on the best way to combine the two. Also, is there some type of meter that would single out that one signal as to check the true strength or if I can even receive it at all at my location?
Thanks in advance to anyone who uses their time in attempts to help.
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Nov-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Above the peak of the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the direction of , South East .

Install a Channel Master CM4228HD antenna.

A antenna system amplifier will most likely not be required for 1 Tv connected.

----------

A Winegard , DS3000 , J pole type antenna mount works Ok with the CM4228HD antenna.

Here are some more antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) , in the solidsignal search box or buy from , www.ronard.com .

----------------
Here are places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.channelmasterstore.com

www.winegarddirect.com

------------

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.
To clear the tuner , Do Double Rescan.
www.wchstv.com/DoubleReSacnAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 7-Nov-2013 at 4:13 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 5-Nov-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
JJH

Couldn't find Cm5228HD

Thanks for your time/reply. I googled the Channel Master CM5228. I couldn't find it. I Did find the Cm4228. I'm wondering if that may have been a typo and if so is it supposed to be CM4228?
Thanks again
J
Old 6-Nov-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

I corrected the typo , the antenna is a CM4228HD .
Old 6-Nov-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
JJH

Thank you Teleview

Thanks again for your suggestions and thanks for the correction.
Sounds like the CM4228HD is the antenna for the job.
I appreciate your help.
Old 6-Nov-2013, 7:35 PM   #6
Whitegrub

I was banging my head against a wall until i tried this:
Unplug t.v. from antenna and any other source (just power). Scan for available channels (should fine 0, but my find some). Once done, attach antenna, scan channels again.
I went from 2 channels to 40. Prior to was only getting channel 7 and 9 (Washington D.C.).
This is with 25' coax cable to homemade dipole antenna (http://cs.yrex.com/ke3fl/Articles/An...ePorcupine.htm) with antenna inside house (have since moved to attic with same length of coax; no noticeably better reception - original reception was very good).
I hope this helps! Don't give up!

Funny part of all of this, once I got in the attic I found two disconnected dipole antennas (bought, not homemade like mine) that the previous owner had. I should have checked the attic first.
Whitegrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2013, 3:39 AM   #7
JJH

Thanks Whitegrub. Think I'm going to go with the roof mount. I mounted a 10' mast to the chimney to test another antenna I have. I ordered the CM4228HD as suggested by Teleview. As I was looking around the web, I found some good info on this antenna and it tests well against other similar designs and works best in the channel range that I am seeking and built for the terrain problems I am facing. Going with the roof mount to help minimize the headaches later. So chimney has a topper so gasses are well dispersed before it would reach antenna. This is just a starting point for testing when the channel master arrives.
Did some measuring and if the chimney location works than I will need to run about 175' of cable and, have to split to 3 tvs. Plan to buy a spool of rg6 so I can run cable at custom lengths to minimize loss. Any suggestions on cable brand to use? Going with a Holland 3-way splitter but there a few models to choose from. What would be recommended? Also, need a ground block so if any body has any ideas on that. I thought a cheap $2 one would be the best way to go for its simple design and can be mounted to the mast and I would run a ground wire from there to a ground block time warner has mounted to a spigot.
Oh and I also ordered an RCA tvpramp1r which comes highly recomended here.
So that is the plan for my setup. If anybody has some different ideas or suggestions on how this could be better, don't hesitate to let me know.
Teleview: that article about tuner glitches explains a lot about some trouble I ran into while testing my other antenna. Thanks for sharing that.