TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-May-2013, 4:01 PM   #1
leibuda

inconsistent broken signals

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda344fa2fcbe

Have a DB8 antenna mounted about 15 feet above the roof with a Winegard AP8275 on the mast. I have a solid 50 foot high grade cable from antenna to inside the house. The output of the Winegard power splitter goes to a 4 way splitter and one output from that splitter goes to another 4 way splitter. I have 6 TVs and get inconsistent broken signals on all TVs and all channels. Channel 2 (WBBM Chicago) is the worst and sometimes just drops completely, and sometimes it and all channels are fine.
Needless to say, I do not have antenna smarts that I see many of you have, and hope you can help me get to the bottom of this. I have replaced most of the cables and splitters and am about to try an RCA ANT751 thinking I made a mistake with the DB8 because it is UHF only?
Your thoughts and help are appreciated.
leibuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-May-2013, 4:47 PM   #2
Stereocraig

I'm guessing that it's overload, from being too close.
I would also try starting out w/ just the antenna and no preamp and then adding TVs one by one.

Was there ever a time when all worked well, or is this a new system?

On a side note, Back in my Waukegan days, WBBM was always known as the channel w/ the worst reception.
Now that I'm up in Kenosha County and they went digital though, it has not failed me once.
Not that it matters for me though, since I haven't had any reason to watch CBS since Andy Rooney passed away.

It is now at real channel 12, so that is at the high end of VHF.
U/V signals do not cut off at certain points, they roll off gradually.

I am also able to receive it w/ a UHF antenna at about 47 miles, so you may want to double check connections, for water tightness if it's been in service for any length of time.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-May-2013, 5:20 PM   #3
leibuda

It's a new system as of last fall and I had the break-up reception from the get-go. I added the amplifier this spring after exhausting other checks.
Thanks for your reply Stereocraig. I miss Andy too, but I do like Sunday Morning on WBBM and it is mostly unwatchable.
Old 1-May-2013, 5:43 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Assuming that DB8 is mounted well and aimed properly, it should be okay. If it's behind trees or in an otherwise obstructed location, all bets are off. If you can snap and post a photo of what the antenna is "seeing" facing towards Chicago, that would help a lot.

Try reception with NO pre-amplifier first as the one you have is not appropriate for close-in locations. If you find that amplification is actually needed (not likely), the install a proper 4 or 8 output distribution amplifier.

You might also install an FM filter on the antenna side of the first splitter or other active device and see if that helps WBBM.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 1-May-2013 at 6:23 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-May-2013, 6:12 PM   #5
leibuda

Thanks for your reply.

Antenna is unobstructed and properly installed. When I driop the pre-amp, I get poor reception on other stations (WGN) and WBBM drops off hard.
I'll try the 8-way and the RCA antenna I meniotned and post results.
Old 1-May-2013, 6:48 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Agreeing with both members... The AP8275 is a fine weak signal amplifier... But that's not the situation you're facing. A good distribution amplifier will tolerate the high signal levels much better, but I would hope to run with no amplifier at all. I suspect the amplifier is compensating for (not the same as fixing) one or more problems elsewhere...

I would start at the beginning. Make sure the antenna is actually producing a reliable signal. Run a single piece of coax directly from the antenna to a single TV. Use the shortest length cable that allows you to safely and practically connect the antenna and 'test' TV, no amplifier, splitter or other accessories. If the antenna is not delivering a reliable signal and you've done a thorough aim check, it's time to consider the location of the antenna. Finally, if the DB8 simply fails in the VHF band, you've already acknowledged that you understand it's a UHF only design.

The ANT-751 is an appropriate option, though a true all channel antenna would be better if you have any interest in WOCK on real CH-4. The Winegard HD7000R, Antennacraft C290 and Channel Master CM-3016 come to mind.

But again, give the DB8 a thorough test... no point spending money if you can make it work. (Keep an open mind to the possibility that there may be more than one problem to track down.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 1-May-2013 at 6:56 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-May-2013, 6:56 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

There's always a possibility you have a defective balun board, a not uncommon enough problem with the DB8's combiner box which would cause it to give poor reception across all channels. I can send a out a repair kit if you want to give it a go. Just call in and ask for a balun repair kit for your antenna and we'll mail it out.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-May-2013, 8:15 PM   #8
teleview

As a Test , It is best to -->Prove Reception<--.

Connect a Winegard HD7000R All channel antenna to a -->New Coax<-->A Known To Be Good -->New<--Coax.

Connect the known to be good new coax to the matching transformer(balun) at the antenna and run the Known to be good New coax through a open door or window and connect the known to be good New Coax direct to 1 Known to be Good Tv.

No grounding couplers , No couplers , No splitters , No electric or electronic devices , No passive devices , No nothing and No etc. .

Zip , Zero , Zilch.

It is the HD7000R All channel antenna the matching transformer the coax the Tv , and that is it.

Install the HD7000R antenna Above The Roof in such a manner that reception is not blocked by the roof and house in the directions of , east , east north , south east , south west , west north.

Aim the HD7000R All channel antenna at about 90 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

A Winegard DS3000 , J pole type antenna mount will work Ok for a antenna mount.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.con.

http://www.winegarddirect.com.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , interrupt and degrade Tv reception by , absorbing , multi-path/reflecting , blocking , Digital Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the HD7000R All channel antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select , 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Last edited by teleview; 3-May-2013 at 3:38 AM.
Old 2-May-2013, 9:20 PM   #9
leibuda

I like the suggestion of going with a “true all channel antenna” and would like to see if I can pull in WOCK on real CH-4 as you suggest GroundUrMast, thank you. Thus I have changed direction and am returning the RCA-751 and going with the Antennacraft C290.
That said, I’m guessing ADTech called it and it’s been a faulty balun all along. Thanks for the info and repair offer, but now I am very curious to see what I get with the Antennacraft C290 and without the pre-amp. With the amount of cable involved with the number of outputs, I suspect I may still need the output distribution amplifier. It seems to make better sense than two non-amped 4-ways.
Thank you Stereocraig & teleview. I am sincerely grateful for all your input and taking the time to respond. Stand by… I will come back with the results.
Old 7-Nov-2013, 2:05 AM   #10
leibuda

Appears to have been a faulty the balun all along.
Am now running six TVs with the best results from the Antennacraft C290 and the Winegard AP8275. The Antennacraft C290 did not do as well by itself, nor did the 8 output distribution amplifier due as well as the Winegard AP8275.
Anyone want to buy a slightly used DB8 with a new balun?