TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Apr-2012, 3:01 PM   #1
holdbyedges

channel video/audio mismatch...huh?

Recently I posted about having solved my cable cut challenge with an RCA ANT751R antenna in my attic pushing 4 TVs. I am ~40 miles due north of broadcast antennas. Here's signal analysis:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...36169d40d2a153
Using a compass app on my samsung galaxy S set to magnetic, I pointed the antenna 180deg mag. Nearly all local channels came in clear as a bell on all 4 TVs without signal amplifier, tho 8, 13, & 39 were a bit finicky on farthest reach TV. A 10dB signal amplifier solved that problem. All channels clear & constant on all TVs.

But something weird happened last night while watching "Sherlock" on PBS (8.1) on the bedroom TV, which is a ~2007/8 Emerson ~21" budget LCD flat screen DTV ready TV. About 3/4 thru the program the audio of 8.1 was replaced by the audio of 8.4 (an audio only channel), also the audio on 11.1 & 11.2 went out of sync with video. 8.2 & 8.3 were unaffected. I checked the other TVs, no problems at all.

I hope this is a TV tuner problem and not my antenna installation problem. I can swap the TV out tonite with one of the other TVs and if the problem disappears I suppose that would isolate the problem to the TV. I am posting here just to see if you experienced OTA TV members know what happened here?

Thanks,
Jim
holdbyedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 3:25 PM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Digital Tv stations make adjustments to PSIP and lip sync timing. Some digital Tv,s brands and models cope with these adjustments Ok and some do not. Do a new channel scan. Is it Ok now?? On your original post I ask if two Tv stations are being received , Are the stations being received?? http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=7747
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 6:50 PM   #3
holdbyedges

The problem on 8.1 (PBS) was not a lip sync problem (that problem is on 11). The channel 8 problem is the words and music don't go together AT ALL. 8.1 video is regular PBS broadcast schedule, but the audio is the same as 8.4, an audio only book reading channel for the visually impaired. I did a re-scan when the problem occurred, and it didn't clear up. Both of these problems occur on only the 1 TV.

I know channel 7 was NOT captured. (The Daystar programming, however, is rebroadcast on 22, KLTJ, which is what we can receive.) I'm certain we didn't get channel 21 either. The scan goes from 20 to 22.

Jim
Old 26-Apr-2012, 6:55 PM   #4
holdbyedges

PS...I'm just hoping the problem on the one TV and NOT an antenna problem. I am very pleased with ANT751. The TV is an older digital ready TV ('07 or '08) and is an inexpensive Emerson. It doesn't have PC input. I can push web TV thru it b/c my laptop has a TV compatible video card that connects with and S cable. I kind of like to replace it, but fundage is a bit short right now.
Old 26-Apr-2012, 7:04 PM   #5
signals unlimited

No chance that it is an antenna problem. Could be that you have that channel set for SAP.."secondary audio program". look at your audio settings in your audio menu while on that channel.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 9:29 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
No chance that it is an antenna problem. Could be that you have that channel set for SAP.."secondary audio program". look at your audio settings in your audio menu while on that channel.
I concur. An antenna has no mechanism to decode data and then misdirect it bay altering the 'address' of a particular data stream. An antenna problem would manifest as, 'all TVs have similar trouble receiving a reliable signal'.

This is certainly a misconfiguration of the TV or a defect with the TV. It's far more likely a configuration issue.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
holdbyedges

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
Pay dirt with the SAP suggestion. Problem solved. I'm a little embarrassed. There is small row of buttons near the top of the remote beginning with the mute button on the left and ending with the the display button on the right. I never use the middle buttons, which includes an "audio" button that allows an SAP selection. It must have been pushed accidentally somehow during viewing but also somehow not noticed, which resulted in this weird problem. Our PBS channel broadcasts the reg schedule on 8.1 and Spanish on 8.3, so hitting the audio button resulted in no alternate language but somehow the 8.4 book reading audio channel audio came over. Go fig.

Thanks very much!
Jim

Last edited by holdbyedges; 26-Apr-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 26-Apr-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
holdbyedges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Digital Tv stations make adjustments to PSIP and lip sync timing. Some digital Tv,s brands and models cope with these adjustments Ok and some do not. Do a new channel scan. Is it Ok now?? On your original post I ask if two Tv stations are being received , Are the stations being received?? http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=7747
Correction: I rescanned when I got home from work today, and channel 21KVQT-TV was received. Channel 7 KDHU was not.
Old 27-Apr-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
signals unlimited

Happens all the time...glad that fix worked!
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote