TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Jan-2011, 6:36 PM   #1
stuart

Newbie on Cape Cod needs antenna advice

My TV Fool report is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da32396793be1f.

I am a presently a cable subscriber and have also used DirecTV and DISH Network in the past. I would like to switch back to broadcast if possible.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the correct antenna configuration to pick up the local Boston and Providence channels. The majority of the stations I would be interested in are grouped at 316-317° (Boston) and at 282-283° (Providence).

Simply based on the postings I read, I was thinking that a XG91 with a CM 7777 preamp would work but I really have no idea.

Any suggestions?
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2011, 9:14 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

How many Tv's will be connected ?
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2011, 9:31 PM   #3
stuart

I think we will have three connected but rarely would more than two be on at once.
Old 2-Jan-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You have access to both Boston and Providence. Boston is all UHF, but Providence is a mix of VHF high-band and UHF stations. The two cities do not lie in the same axis, so there are a couple of ways to proceed. If you want only one city you can put up an antenna aimed at that city. You will need a VHF-high-band plus UHF antenna for Providence or a UHF only deep-fringe antenna for Boston. I suggest using a preamplifier in either case, since you will be powering multiple TV sets.

Alternatives include using one deep-fringe VHF-high-band plus UHF antenna and include a rotator to turn the antenna between the two cities. This is the least convenient way to watch programs from both cities, as it would be necessary to turn the antenna to see all your TV stations, and if you want to watch different programs from different cities, this installation offers the least flexibility.

Another more expensive solution, but one that will facilitate watching either city simultaneously would be to use 2 antenna on the same mast: one aimed at Boston, and the other aimed at Providence. You would need to use 2 preamplifiers, one for each antenna. Feed the output of the power supply of each preamp to a 3 or 4 way splitter, then run one cable from each splitter to each TV set (2 cables total to each TV). At each TV set, install an RF A/B switch, which will allow you to switch between the antenna for either city. While this may be a bit more complicated, it assures that you will see interference-free reception from both Boston AND Providence.

Once you decide which route is the best one for you, we can discuss specific equipment choices for your situation.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jan-2011, 2:01 AM   #5
stuart

Tigerbangs - Thanks for your detailed reply. Of the two options that you laid out, I think I would opt for the first: VHF-high-band plus UHF antenna with a rotator. Since I am primarily after the major networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, etc. I expect that I will be pointed most of the time at the city which provides the best of that grouping. The A/B switching could prove daunting for the kids and my wife would flip out over the stack of antennas over the roof.