TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Feb-2011, 4:11 PM   #1
Blaz1295

91XG or Antennacraft HBU

Here's my report again:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4de66e06a7a

I am trying to decide between the 91XG and the Antennacraft HBU33 but do I need VHF? OK I have been corrected 6 is actually 42 but is 10 really 10 and 12 really 12 as they show? If so how am I getting them on the homemade UHF bowtie?

Also, I have the Columbia stations at approximately 55 degress and the Augusta stations at 225 degrees almost 180 out from each other and I really do not want a rotor. I would rather mount 2 antennas if there is not other way to receive both. I don't think i am going to get WACH-Fox from Columbia so I going to have to get at least WFXG-Fox from Augusta.

Thanks for all the help and information hope to get this done soon DTV is up the 21st.
Blaz1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2011, 6:56 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

When considering the type antenna needed, only the "real" channel is relevant. Virtual channel numbers tell you nothing about the frequency used to broadcast the signal.

The 91XG is one of the highest performing UHF antennas available. However, it's only designed to receive UHF channels 14 and up. In some applications enough VHF signal will be received to be usable, that does not make it a fist choice for VHF applications though.

If I were in your situation I would choose to install two or more antennas aimed in opposite directions. I combine UHF and VHF at the RF level with a UVSJ. But I have all signals available to my computer based receivers using network attached tuners.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

In your earlier threads, viable suggestions were offered regarding antenna choices. All of the viable antennas suggested are large deep fringe designs, either single combos or separate UHF and VHF combined at a preamp.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Feb-2011 at 7:21 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2011, 6:58 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The 91XG was designed to be a highly directional UHF antenna. Any VHF reception it gets is due to coincidence rather than from its design. i would never recommend it for VHF reception although I have heard from numerous customers that they DID get VHF reception with one.

Think of a comparison of an antenna's design band in a way similar to our vision. In the antenna's design band, vision is excellent. But, the further the frequency of an out-of-design-band channel is from the antenna's design capabilities, the more "near-sighted" the antenna appears to be. As someone who required vision correction from an early age, I can tell you that being close or have larger images allowed me to cope with near-sightedness. Similarly, receiving VHF signals on a UHF antenna will happen pretty much only when the signals are particularly strong. Your DIY antenna, it appears, is able to receive enough of a VHF signal to allow reception. Your antenna may be near-sighted on VHF, but it isn't blind.

The HBU series are high-VHF/UHF combos and are suitable for use as a single antenna solution. We happen to have decided to offer separates which we believe offers greater flexibility in designing a system unique for any user. There are advantages and disadvantages to either approach.

Your desire to receive relatively distant (weak) signals without a rotor leaves few options: 1) Pick a city and stick to it or 2) Use two separate antennas (or pairs) and select the active antenna using an A-B switch or 3) Investigate a DIY design such as the GH that has a bi-directional option.

if you look at your TVFool chart, observe the numbers under the "Real" column. This is the channel that the signal is actually transmitted on and the one that is important for antenna selection.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2011, 7:44 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I see All your other posts. At some point you will actually do something. All of the Network stations , Educational stations , Independent stations , Are receivable to the north east with one antenna.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote