TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Nov-2013, 1:13 AM   #1
Couch Potato

Reception help in southern Bergen County, NJ

Hi all,
This is my first post. I hope that someone can help me. Here is the background information:
The TV in question is a portable TV equipped with a digital converter box and an omnidirectional amplified antenna. For years I was receiving all channels from 2-68 along with their digital subchannels. (I had some trouble with the PBS affiliate channel 13 however). Usually I just had to place the antenna on top of the TV, though sometimes I had to place it to the right or left of the TV.
In late May or early June I couldn't receive channels 2-48, which are the channels of all the major networks. At first I thought this might just be a one day thing due to atmospheric conditions (which happened occasionally though infrequently, at least that was my guess as to the cause). I tried again the next day and the same thing occurred. After a few days I started trying the TV every other day and then finally every other week. Then one day in late August or early September all the channels were back. So I was happy. Then in late September or early October the same thing happened again; the only channels that I can receive are 50-68-which are mostly foreign language stations.
Channels 2-48 are mostly transmitted from an easterly direction while 50-68 come from a general westerly direction. If I try the onscreen signal strength tester on the above mentioned lower channels it will sometimes build up to maybe the upper 20s or mid-30s with occasional sound or a digitize picture then within a second or two the signal strength drops to 5 or 0. Onscreen will also occur the messages, "Low signal strength" or "No program found"
I'm completely perplexed by this problem. I can't figure out why suddenly all these channels would just be gone, while I can still receive the higher channels.
Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Couch Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 1:35 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hi Couch Potato,

Am I to understand this is an indoor amplified antenna?

I want to make sure I am reading your situation correct before I comment further.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 1:50 AM   #3
teleview

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

What directions do , windows , patios/balconys , face??

What floor??

What is the top floor??

Please make and post a live and active tvool report.

Use your exact address to make the Tvfool radar plot and channel list report.

Please make the antenna height above ground , 25 feet above ground.

25 feet antenna height above ground is a reference antenna height above ground that provides a good idea of what is receivable.

If your antenna is higher above ground then also make a Tvfool report with that antenna height also.

Last edited by teleview; 18-Nov-2013 at 1:52 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 21-Nov-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Couch Potato

Yes this is “table top” indoor amplified antenna (like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=11694069). It is used in a one floor (with an attic) single family home. The room in which this TV is most often used is located in the southeast corner of the house. The windows in this room face east and south, with two windows in the southeastern corner.
The report for my address is:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae579d628bf4

As this is a “table top” antenna I would estimate the height of the antenna to be between 4 and 4.5 feet off the ground.
To reiterate this is the same TV and antenna that has been used for a few years now (since the switch over to digital signal transmission), yet my reception problem has only occurred within the past year.
Old 23-Nov-2013, 2:57 AM   #5
teleview

+=>
-------
Signal strengths at your location are strong.

Some possibility s

A bad antenna and connection and amplifier and power supply.

Bad coax and connections.

A bad tuner in the Tv.

Both bad , antenna and Tv.

Substitute antenna and Tv , first one way and then the other.

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

Not cable Tv channels.

Try doing a Double Rescan to clear tuner.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 23-Nov-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 24-Nov-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Couch Potato

I've number these responses below so that I can reply to each.

1.A bad antenna and connection and amplifier and power supply.

2. Bad coax and connections.

3. A bad tuner in the Tv.

4. Both bad , antenna and Tv.

5. Substitute antenna and Tv , first one way and then the other.

6.The Tv Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

#2 I have checked many times. All connections are tight.

#6 This has been done many times.

# 1, 3 and 4 - If this would be so, then why can I still receive channels 50-68? Also why after a few months would channels 2-48 be able to be received again, before losing these stations again?
Old 25-Nov-2013, 1:18 AM   #7
teleview

+=>
-------
The Tvfool channel list shows the Real Channels that are Transmitted and Received , and the (virt) virtual number.
Old 2-Dec-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
-------
The Tvfool channel list shows the Real Channels that are Transmitted and Received , and the (virt) virtual number.
This answer doesn't make any sense to me. I know what channels I could receive (I've lived in this area all my life) and now suddenly they're gone.

Last edited by Couch Potato; 2-Dec-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 2-Dec-2013, 1:25 AM   #9
teleview

Many Tv stations have changed to a New Tv Channel with the change to Digital Broadcast Tv transmission and reception.

Some examples and not the only examples.

WCBS - CBS , was Analog Tv channel 2 .

And changed to UHF channel 33 wih the change to Digital transmission.

The Tv station has kept the , Legacy number 2 , It is called Channel Branding .

The Legacy number 2 is now a , (virt) virtual number.

However the REAL channel is UHF channel 33 , transmitting a Digital signal.

Another reason for keeping and displaying the old Analog channel number is because ,
Many people that have lived in a area for a long time , --> Know <-- what the channel number is and , --> Will Not Except <-- a new channel number.

If WCBS displays channel 33 CBS , people will call in Demanding the old CBS channel 2 .

WNYW , FOX was Analog channel 5 , is now UHF channel 44 Digital transmission and reception.

------

So Yes is Very Important to know the Real and Actual channel that is being transmitted and received.

So one can know the correct antenna for reception.

Some places in the USA , Canada , Mexico , no longer have any VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

And some places in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , no longer have any VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

And the Tv transmission and reception is all in the UHF channel band of channels 14 thru 51.

--------

And some places have no UHF channels .

The channels are all VHF channels.

--------

So now you will most likely say , The UHF channels are 14 thru 83.

The UHF 52 thru 83 have been Removed From the -->Free to Receive Broadcast Tv Band<--> and sold to the , mobile phone / cell phone / wireless Internet , providers.

So now it is UHF channels 14 thru 51.

And it looks like more UHF channels are going to be removed and sold to the , cell phone and Internet providers.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Dec-2013 at 2:37 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 2-Dec-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Here are your logical possibilities:

1) The antenna or the converter box have gone "intermittent".
2) Something in your vicinity has changed, whether it be new construction or natural growth of foliage.
3) New source of electrical interference in or near the home or your antenna's location. Possibilities include new cell tower or new lighting in or near the home.

Using an amplified antenna when within 5 miles of local stations is rarely a good idea as the amplifier may easily overload or cause the tuner to overload. An overloaded tuner or amp will cause the type of signal meter display that you described.

Skip the whole discussion of the real vs virtual channels. Most of us can figure out what you mean.

Unless you have a spectrum analyzer available, you will need to troubleshoot by the substitution method. Try a different NON-amplified antenna in a southeast window. Position the antenna so it faces downtown New York City. A simple loop and rabbit ears is sufficient for troubleshooting. Try a different converter box or a new/different TV which has a built-in digital tuner.

Good luck!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2013, 1:53 AM   #11
Couch Potato

Thank you ADTech. Could you elaborate on what you mean by "intermittent"?
I had thought about foliage maybe causing the problem as the trouble started in late spring/early summer and I have many trees around my house. (I'm not aware of any new construction within a few miles, nor is there new lighting or a cell phone tower nearby.) However now that all the leaves have fallen would the signal still be blocked as I'm still encountering the difficulty?
I should mention that I tried the TV again tonight and I was able to receive channel 5, 9 and 9.3 though the screen would freeze often.