TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Nov-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
MyHD120

Perplexed

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a3f448deccf7

I have a CM3671 at 30 feet high. About a 30' run of RG6 to a MyHD120 computer based TV card. This tuner is more sensitive than the channel scanners on 2 different TV's. I am 60 miles from the CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox towers in NYC. Those are the channels I want to get. The tuner card is picking up only ABC 7.1 but then shows no signal on it's graphic and no picture. I've incrementally rotated the antenna but get no better signal. Rotating enough I get channel 30.1 out of Hartford, CT, 65 plus miles away. I do have large, high trees in my yard. One other thing that might have consequence; I installed the antenna upside down. Is there any help for this situation?

Gary
MyHD120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
No static at all

Is this a new problem, or have you ever gotten satisfactory reception with your set-up?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
MyHD120

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
Is this a new problem, or have you ever gotten satisfactory reception with your set-up?
Thanks for the quick response. This is a new installation. I moved to this location about a year ago and want to 'cut the cable' and use OTA and HULU desktop through Windows Media Center 7. I have extensive experience with OTA when I was 45 miles closer to NYC capturing OTA HD on the computer.
Old 22-Nov-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
No static at all

I don't think the antenna being installed upside down is the issue. Are using a preamp? You may see some improvement from a Winegard HDP-269 or 8700 preamp.

My gut feeling is that the 3671 is not strong enough on UHF for your situation. The VHF should be doing better, but you may need an FM trap to help out with those stations.

The stations from NYC are not broadcasting with very high power which isn't helping either.
Old 22-Nov-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
MyHD120

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
I don't think the antenna being installed upside down is the issue. Are using a preamp? You may see some improvement from a Winegard HDP-269 or 8700 preamp.

My gut feeling is that the 3671 is not strong enough on UHF for your situation. The VHF should be doing better, but you may need an FM trap to help out with those stations.

The stations from NYC are not broadcasting with very high power which isn't helping either.
No preamp at the moment. Wanted to get the raw signal first. I thought a pre might cause noise and degrade what signal there is.
Old 22-Nov-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
No static at all

I would probably start with a preamp since it will likely help no matter what antenna is used. I would lean towards the Winegard 8700, but hopefully others will chime in with additional suggestions as well.
Old 22-Nov-2010, 2:01 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHD120 View Post
The tuner card is picking up only ABC 7.1 but then shows no signal on it's graphic and no picture. Is there any help for this situation?
I'd guess that the antenna is in a weak location for channel 7. Try raising or lowering the antenna several feet. If that doesn't work the other end of the house may be better.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmig5.htm
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/siting.html

A preamp may not fix VHF reception. If you want to try one, an HDP-269 would be best.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 22-Nov-2010 at 2:06 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-2010, 5:11 PM   #8
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
A preamp will probably help. I would also imagine that you can see WTNH-DT from New Haven without a problem where you are, so you have ABC covered even if you can't get WABC from NYC. I think that Tower Guy's suggestion of a Winegard HDP-269 is a good one. If, as it appears in your post, you are powering 3 TV tuners from the unamplified antenna, a preamp should make a big difference in what you receive.

On another note: the signal from WVIT (NBC Connecticut) always amazes me. On paper, it looks like they shouldn't get anywhere with that power and tower height, but they manage to come in in some very unusual places. They are 30 miles from me here in Springfield, MA, and yet, I can get them with nothing more than a paper clip: go figure

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 22-Nov-2010 at 5:14 PM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-2010, 6:14 PM   #9
MyHD120

[QUOTE=Tower Guy;4110]I'd guess that the antenna is in a weak location for channel 7. Try raising or lowering the antenna several feet.

Thanks. Going to try this first.

Tigerbangs: I'm only using the computer card. I was just trying the 2 tv's to see if they picked up anything. Absolutely nothing.

Because I can't get a preamp around here except over the net I bought a cheap one from Rat Shack ($5 close out) just to see what it will do. Reviews were some good, some bad. The 15-2507. I saw where you, Tigerbangs, actually said something in the past about this unit. Any way, thanks to all, and I'll let you know if it works.
Old 22-Nov-2010, 9:13 PM   #10
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbangs View Post
On another note: the signal from WVIT (NBC Connecticut) always amazes me.
It amazed me too. I was able to get WVIT analog before the analog shutdown, but never WTIC.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Nov-2010, 8:58 AM   #11
MyHD120

Well, the lowering didn't work. Couldn't go up. I was at the max, about 14' above the peak. Any higher would probably require guy wire. Moving the location?, maybe, but fraught with problems.

The amp didn't help either. I might have a bad fitting and will change that out tomorrow. Thanks, guys, and I'll keep trying. Any other ideas, send them my way.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 7:54 PM   #12
MyHD120

OK. I was able to get a little something after changing fittings. Now I need some one to point me to a section on installing guy wire. Thanks.
Old 23-Nov-2010, 8:03 PM   #13
No static at all

I would try a better quality preamp before going higher. The Radio Shack model is noisy & is likely overloading with the moderately strong local signals.