TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Jan-2015, 6:10 PM   #1
davidhales

Antenna Recommendation

!@#$%^&*()

Last edited by davidhales; 8-Jan-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 1-Jan-2015, 8:02 PM   #2
timgr

A few things things that strike me about your report - you have 3 big groups of stations, at ca 218 magnetic, 274 and 35. Since you said you want as many stations as possible, you could conceivably get stations from all of these directions. But it might involove multiple antennas on your roof, multiple tuners, a HTPC, etc. But you have the potential to pull in a lot of stations.

Second, you have very few VHF stations to consider. Ch 9 KMYU is VHF high (7-13), but it's so close and strong that you may pick it up anyway using an antenna designed for UHF. The next VHF stations are way down the list ... K07CG, K02AW, K09KP, etc.

Which brings us to - most of these stations are licensees/repeaters of other stations. Look at the call signs, and you see few primary call signs, like KMYU and KUEW. And nothing shows an affiliation on your list until you are way down into the impossible-to-receive gray stations. The TVFool algorithm picks up the affiliation when it's listed in the FCC database, but it won't research the ones that have no affiliation listed.

I suggest you go through the list and figure out what programming each of those stations carries. The FCC has a database - here is the listing for K49AS, a translator for KUTV. http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=k49as So it will carry KUTV programming, you look that up and its CBS from SLC. It will take a little time, but going through the list will give you an idea of what each of those stations are broadcasting. Then you can see which are duplications and put together a group of the strongest in one or two directions that will cover all the programming that is practically available.

Or, you could just buy an antenna, put it up as high as you can on your roof, and move it around until you optimize the mix of available stations. I owna nd watch TV using an Antennas Direct DB8e, which is a sensitive and flexible premium UHF antenna. I'm sure you would get lots of stations with that... just depends on how you want to proceed. Me, I'm rather analytical, and I made a spread sheet of the stations in my report. Then I looked at them grouped by broadcast band and compass direction, and screened out the channels I was not interested in (shopping channels, evangelical channels, Spanish language channels). Then I went with the most channels I could get from a single mast.

hth!

Last edited by timgr; 1-Jan-2015 at 8:24 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

To look up translators from a single source, go here: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php

Scroll down and select (28) - St George and pull up that list which includes St George and surrounding communities.

What you're seeing are translator clusters that service individual communities and their immediate surrounding area. Usually, all you need is to hit one translator site as most of them are re-broadcasts of Salt Lake City stations, very few of them are anything local or original. You'll have to go through the list, one at a time, and look up each entry to see what each translator is carrying.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 1-Jan-2015 at 10:25 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jan-2015, 8:23 PM   #4
davidhales

!@#$%^&*()

Last edited by davidhales; 8-Jan-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 3-Jan-2015, 12:34 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I need help with what antenna to purchase. Thanks.
Sounds good.

Do you want a single translator site, multiple ones, which one(s), use (or not) a rotor, etc? You will need to be as specific as possible about the channels/translators needed so that those requirements can be best met.

Otherwise, simply get the biggest all-channel antenna you can and put it up there and rotate it around to see what you can pick up.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote