TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Feb-2015, 6:54 PM   #1
inline300

Antenna/ reception questions

I built a four bay bowtie diy no reflector antenna last spring. I want to say each element is 7". Pulled in 20 rock solid channels.
Then last fall, three stations just disappeared.
Week ago, blame the winter blues, I decided to see about getting those three channels back.
Step one, I put two small cheap metal grills, about the size of a sheet of paper behind, upper and lower two bowties.
To my surprise, the three channels were back. And to beat all, it was raining. Four hours later, they were gone, next day, gone.
Step two, I bought two similar size grills except they had a tighter mesh screen, installed, stations returned. Came in great, all day, all night.
Next day, gone, nice sunny clear day, but gone.
Step three, I tried some fencing, about a 1.5" x 3" squares. First installed behind existing mesh reflector. Had issues all over, then I tried just the fencing metal, lost half the channels.

So I take a look at the tvfool report and begin to really wonder why those channels are missing, attached link to report below.

Stations I want to get back are virtual channels 56.1,56.2,56.3 or real channel 31, which according to the map, is directly in front of real channel tower 42, which is virtual channels 46.1,46.2,46.3, I get those channels rock solid, hell or high water.

I have started over by cleaning the bowtie elements, replacing copper connecting elements, and replacing balun, not using a reflector, have 17 rock solid channels. Still no 56 or real channel 31.

I plan to toy around with a reflector again.
But open to ideas, as to how a tower behind another tower, comes in fine, but not the one in front?

Also wonder if I should build a larger four bay? or build a double four bay bowtie? Should I try a basic gray hoverman? I tried the gray hoverman when I built the four bay bowtie, cant recall why I chose one over the other but Im sure I had my reasons. lol

I also thought about trying the xg91, if anyone recommends that one. If it would pick up channels from tower 31 and help with other stations reception, Id be willing to tie it in with my existing antenna, as its pulled in the other 17 channels rock solid, hell or high water. I get a quick blip at times with one sub channel, if a car drives by or some other anomaly but nothing to bug me, I can live with it.

Any input appreciated. As much as Im willing to try another diy, Id be ok buying something, had my diy fill, ready to just have it work as I want it too.

Tvfool report link below, thanks:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd3fa3013e0ada

Last edited by inline300; 19-Feb-2015 at 6:58 PM.
inline300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2015, 8:51 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

A four bay panel antenna, store bought or home built, is really not enough antenna to reliably chase down a weak signal like WDKY, real CH-31. A long Yagi like the 91XG or an 8-bay panel antenna with an ideal reflector such as the DB8E is a more appropriate choice. However, both of these antennas and their competing models from other vendors are going to be quite directional. As a result, you may find that you can't receive all the stations simultaneously from a single aim point.

But before I go into possible solutions, your report is flagged with: WARNING: Address was only resolved approximately and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates. Please review these helpful threads:
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

An accurate TVFool report may or may not differ significantly from the generic ZIP code based information you linked to initially.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
inline300

I tried a new report, it didnt acknowledge my address specifically, punched it in a few times. But its closer, the report seems to reflect what Im getting. Attached new report below.

channels Im getting now are:
and their sub channels
56.1 and its sub channels would be a nice addition.

I could try the DB8e and I could combine it with my existing antenna, since it seems to bring in the majority of the channels just fine. Just wish, I could be more certain it would in fact do the trick. Im only running 40ft or so coaxial from the antenna, so if I read right, I shouldnt need a preamp. I have a preamp from a mohu leaf indoor antenna, and it didnt help my situation at all, I knew a poor signal would only get worse, good signal better going into it, but had to try. To join two antennas, I just use a simple two into one coaxial adapter?

I ground the pvc mast and I also ground the connector, that joins the outside coaxial with the interior of house coaxial.

How would a person figure out the ideal db8e reflector for my situation?

updated report. Thanks
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd3fcf2138b786

Thought about trying this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FQKTaQod2poA1w

Last edited by inline300; 19-Feb-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 19-Feb-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Follow the procedure in this thread: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 to generate an accurate plot.

Google cannot find your street address. You might want to enter a correction via Google Maps if you want it fixed.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Follow the procedure in this thread: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 to generate an accurate plot.

Agreed.

There's too much difference between the two reports posted thus far... There's no point suggesting a solution that's based on information that doesn't reflect the conditions at your location. In hilly or mountainous terrain, moving a door or two down the street can make a tremendous difference.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 1:59 AM   #6
inline300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

Google cannot find your street address. You might want to enter a correction via Google Maps if you want it fixed.
Not sure Google's the problem. I went to Google, punched in my address, Google suggested a slightly different way to title my address, I click on it, zoom in, that's my house. Next step, I copy Google's title of my address, apply it to the tvfool analysis page, it again gives a warning that the location isn't precise. I'll follow your link, see what I see. Thanks
Old 20-Feb-2015, 2:35 AM   #7
inline300

I finally managed to get an accurate analysis, thanks ADTech.
Seems the channels I really want are within 30 degrees of one another, wonder if that's suitable for the xg91 or db8e?
Thanks
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd3fccbd9d8b19

Last edited by inline300; 20-Feb-2015 at 2:55 AM.
Old 20-Feb-2015, 1:24 PM   #8
inline300

Some irony, this morning I checked 56, just for the heck of it, something I've done out of habit since a few months ago when 56 disappeared, for reasons unknown, it's been working this morning, but all the 67 channels are gone, and this is the first time since May of last year, that 67 hasn't been rock solid, with current antenna design and configuration.
Its not easy making sense of the antennas performance when there's no consistency.
Old 20-Feb-2015, 4:13 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Deconstructing your report puts you within a stone's throw of the intersection of US 460 and Phillips Hollow Rd. Assuming this is correct:

You have a terrain ridge line about 3/4 mile away in the direction of Lexington that, before trees, is about 325' above your elevation. Your incoming signals from Lexington must diffract over this terrain feature for the final path to your location. However, on the other side of that ridge is a set of several "knobs" that go up to 1350' ASL that the signal must pass through. By the time the signals get to the final ridge, they've already gone through "multipath hell". That ridge is the final insult to the signals.

All that is to illustrate that the signals, before they get to your location will be severely impaired and that there's not a whole lot you can do about it except select the most capable equipment and give it a shot knowing that your odds aren't very good. You'll get what you get when you get it and that's about the best prediction that can be made. When the signals are "good enough" at the input to your tuner, reception will be perfect. Anything less than "good enough" will yield imperfect or no reception at all. Weather, ground conditions, snow cover tree foliage, moisture, temperature, and other such stuff up on those hilltops will affect the ability of the signals to reach you so your reception will be "highly variable".

All that said, your best bet would be the 91XG plus a low noise preamp such as our PA18. The 91XG has the feature of its tilt-able bracket which will allow you to adjust the tilt angle of the antenna which can help when the antenna is located in a terrain hole. You will also likely need a rotor as the 91XG will tend to reject the signals from behind it and your chances of receiving those other stations would be severely diminished, even below their current levels.

Best of luck!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
inline300

Thanks.

Im right next to 460, could gently toss a rock and hit it.

18,27,36,46 come in fine, never had an issue really. So far, with exception of my experimenting with the reflector, they come in like cable, day, night, storm, clear skies or blizzard. 18.2 will quickly blip from time to time if a car goes by, mainly in the mornings, but not often, but other than that, it comes in great.
could I combine the xg91 with my existing antenna, that way the 67s still come in? Use the xg91 to enhance the front signals, or 18,27,36,46 and hopefully and mainly 56?

Seems the signal on my diy four bay bowtie has improved since I refurbished it the other day, perhaps a corroded contact was causing the weak signal issues last fall?

Thanks for helping, gonna wait till all this snow is over with before I buy an antenna.

You think two reflectorless four bay diy bowties stacked and combined would improve anything? Or just go with the yagi xg91 and be done with it?

I ask about combing the two, not sure if the xg91 will be able to get the 46,56, and the 27,36,18 or if I should use my existing diy antenna as a filler, and focus the aftermarket piece towards ?

Thanks

Last edited by inline300; 20-Feb-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 16-Mar-2015, 2:35 AM   #11
inline300

Had an accidental break through or coincidence, whichever way you want to look at it. I was still getting ifffy signal on fox, then a week ago, I went to relocate my surround sound receiver and a dvd player and noticed fox and all twenty channels have come in day or night and regardless of weather.

My neighbor had been getting 14 channels with a indoor mohu leaf unpowered deal, been trying to get them to make a four bay bowtie but they been reluctant. I came across a 18 dollar ANT-106 QFX antenna. Its has a 360 rotation and powered, but I dont care for either feature, Im a set it and forget it type, but anyway. I plugged it in, sat it on a 3 foot tall, off the ground with a house in the way, make shift mast and they get the channels I get, plus another one, kinda cool. Thing seems flimsy as can be, not sure how long it will last but it worked pretty well. I plan to permanently mount it to their eaves, edge of porch roof, directly to part of the antenna that would attach to the mast, so no real mast, They have a power strip that has a coaxial in and out surge protector deal, behind the tv, can I just use that as the ground or point of failure, should the antenna get hit with a little lightning?

Id still like to try the diy yagi for my tv, but temperatures are getting warmer and bigger outdoor projects are calling my name. Only thing that threw me about the diy yagi, is I couldnt find information on the oval part, driven element?? and how big that should be or if the outdoor balun I been using would work, think they are 300 to 75 ohm?

Thanks

Last edited by inline300; 16-Mar-2015 at 2:42 AM.