TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Nov-2010, 1:29 AM   #1
Scuba37

Type of Antenna?

Hi! My parents are elderly and have just gotten a TV that doesn't require a conversion box. Their signal has been a lot worse and my dad swears it is the TV. I think it is the antenna. I was looking at the Winegard MS2000, but wondered if something else would be better?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a347851dfa7c

Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide.
Scuba37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Nov-2010, 5:26 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

Questions. What is the antenna being used now ? Does the antenna have a amplifier answer-->Yes or No . The spanish stations are transmitted from every direction. Are they interested in the spanish language stations ? The english language stations are transmitted from one direction. How many Tv's are connected? Is the place where they live wrapped with any kind or type of metal such as metal siding or stucko with metal stucko Wire ? The signals are Very Strong , an antenna amplifier can over load and be the cause of bad reception. . Read and understand this , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2010, 1:07 AM   #3
Scuba37

Answers

Hi! In answers to your questions... They have a tower (I don't think it is too high) with an amplified multi-directional round antenna on it. They don't really care about receiving the spanish speaking channels. They live in a park model that has vinyl siding, but I think that the under construction is metal. They have 2 TV's. One that is older and has a converter box and the other is only about 18 months old.

After reading the links you left, I am guessing that it is the amplified one that is causing the problem. Would just a non-amplified antenna work best?

Thank you so much for your assistance.
Scuba37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2010, 1:59 AM   #4
Dave Loudin

Why would you get an omnidirectional antenna? Your report clearly shows the digital channels are grouped in generally one direction. Get a different Winegard, the HD 7694.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2010, 7:14 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Reception

As Dave says get the HD7694P and point it at 91 magnetic compass KMBH 38 PBS and this will get you all of the english language channels. Your location has both Analog and Digital Tv channels , the Analog Tv channels will have ghosts and lines and dots in the tv picture just like analog tv channels have for the past 69 years. . The Digital Tv Channels will be Clear. . DO NOT use a preamplifier or any type or kind of amplifier. The signals are strong at your location. As a matter of fact , digital tv siginals are much more robust then analog , this is what allows the digital tv signals to be of high quality out to the limit of the transmission range and then it goes off a digital cliff , just like cell phones. Wheres the old analog signals got weaker and weaker and weaker and the picture got snowier and snowier and snowier.

Last edited by John Candle; 28-Nov-2010 at 8:05 AM.
Old 28-Nov-2010, 7:24 AM   #6
John Candle

Tv Reception

It's a good idea to ground the coax with a coax grounding block with a ground wire to ground , this diverts the signals that are being received by the coax shield to ground , this reduces interference. . Do not use any twin lead 300 ohm antenna lead wire. . . .Twin lead worked ok --> 50 Years ago <-- , now however the air is filled with signals and is becoming more so every day , this is way to much interference , the old twin lead picks up all this interference.

Last edited by John Candle; 28-Nov-2010 at 8:05 AM.