TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Apr-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
naturl

signal break up

Hello , I receive 18 channels but have a problem with 3 of them 2-1 breaks up [ fragments ] so does 28-2 , makes them virtually unwatchable , channel 12-99 has no video . channel 2-1 is the only one I would like better reception .
I have an RCA ant-751 installed approx. 13' off the ground on the roof [mobile home] pointed about sse , 16' of cable from antenna to a splitter [ using only one side ] then 25' to tv in living room . no signal booster .
there is a hill to the south of me , it rises approx. 50' in a quarter mile and a line of trees directly behind the house .
it has been suggested I could do better with a medium directional antenna [CEA] .
I would appreciate any guidance you could give me . thank you .

here is the link to my analysis .
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda1b5f340593
naturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Apr-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
elmo

What you're having issue with are stations to the backside of the antenna. I am not certain that a bigger antenna aimed SSE would help you pull from NNW. The 751 is probably a good antenna in this case.

First thing I'd do is get rid of the splitter. Splitters bring signal losses. If not needed, don't use it. I assume the other end doesn't have a terminator cap either, increasing the loss of signal. It you have to join two pieces of coax, use a barrel connector. Of course, the best thing is a solid run from antenna to TV, but sometimes that's just not possible. The insertion loss of the barrel connector will be less than the splitter, and could make all the difference for you.

Have you tried tweaking the aim of the antenna as well?

Check your signal strength of the channels using the TV's diagnostic menu, before and after, so that way you see the difference it makes.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Apr-2013, 1:54 AM   #3
naturl

signal break up

Thank you Elmo ,
I used a splitter with intentions of adding a second tv , but it works ok with an indoor antenna , same problems as living room tv on roof antenna . I did cap the unused side of the splitter .
the living room tv is the important one , it's the one the wife watches
[ channel 2-1 NCIS ] . I have aimed the antenna from south to sse .
I think from what you have said , I'm going to first run the cable directly from antenna to tv if that doesn't do it I will try tweaking the direction . I'm assuming the small end of the antenna should be pointing in a southerly direction ?
ps . both antenna and splitter are connected to a grounding rod with heavy gauge copper wire , if I eliminate the splitter is the antenna ground enough ?

Again thank you , naturl
Old 29-Apr-2013, 7:32 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

For test purposes, don't worry about the grounding issues.

Running a single piece of coax (preferably new, but known good for sure) is an excellent first step in trouble shooting. You eliminate the question of whether an accessory such as a splitter, connector, amplifier, etc. could effect the signal from the antenna. Reliable reception after all, starts at (and often fails at) the antenna and it's mounting (location & aim). If you can't get reliable reception with a direct connection to a single TV, adding accessories will not improve the results, if anything you may only add more problems.

Use the shortest cable that will allow you to safely and practically make the connection from the antenna to the 'test' TV. This reduces the signal loss between the antenna and TV, further reducing the question of 'do I have a good signal from the antenna or not?'

Hopefully, your test will provide a solid, reliable signal on all channels of interest. If not, transition to adjusting the aim of the antenna. If needed, don't hesitate to check a full 360° of aim points in 5° steps. You're looking for reliable reception more than 'maxing-out' a signal meter reading. Take notes, with reference to compass heading or landmarks so you can return the antenna to the best aim point once your aim survey is done.

If you can't find a single aim point that provides reliable reception, you'll need to decide if the antenna can be located in a more favorable location, one that's not obstructed by buildings or trees. Higher is nearly always a better location. It's possible to clamp the antenna to a broom handle, then test alternative locations and aim points.

If all that fails, we can talk about antennas with greater gain...

Hopefully, you've already found that loose or corroded connection or optimum aim-point and all is well...

Post #20 of http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901 is my stock answer regarding grounding the permanent installation.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Apr-2013, 5:10 PM   #5
naturl

signal breakup

Thank you Groundurmast for the links and the method to approach my problem .
naturl