TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Aug-2010, 2:33 PM   #1
Dorset

Rural Antenna Selection

My parents live in a rural location. They would like not have to use satellite to obtain channel 12.1, which was available before the transition and for a time after. As I live 3 hours away I am assisting them via phone. The TV analysis can be found here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe26d756dd0d

They have the antenna on a tower that is ~15 feet high. The antenna is the same as they had before the transition. They also have a RadioShack amp model 15-259.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3780245

They have a digital to analog convert, the Dish Network DTVPal. They replaced the coaxial cable recently.

They receive 23.1, 6.1, 15.1, and at times 8.1. They should be able to receive 12.1 but it does not come in with a strong enough signal to even show an occasional image. Channel 12.1 and 23.1 are the same direction so I do not know why they are unable to pick up a strong signal. Others in the area are having the same issue.

I would like to try a different setup mainly changing the antenna. Any of the components can be changed. They are probably fine with a motorized antenna, but I am concerned with its use in conjunction with the converter.

Thank you for your help
Dorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 5:22 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
It would sure help to know what kind of antenna they are currently using...
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 8:23 PM   #3
Dorset

Would a picture work?
Old 25-Aug-2010, 9:37 PM   #4
Dorset

They said they purchased it 10 years ago at Lowe's. It cost approximately $100.
Old 25-Aug-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset View Post
They receive 23.1, 6.1, 15.1, and at times 8.1.
Really? They pick up channel 8 at times? This is a very weak channel on the report and it comes from the opposite direction of the other channels. If the antenna is pointed at channel 22 (23.1), then it's a bit surprising that they would be able to pick up channel 8 through the "back" of the antenna. It's not impossible, but it's not what I'd expect.

It makes me wonder if they have the antenna aimed correctly. Has that been checked yet?
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Dorset

My dad check the direction based on the signal strength of 6.

Sorry my memory is faulty they no longer get 8. That was before the transition.

Here is a description for the antenna, not the best.

The antenna is 8 long bend back pieces in front,

short on the rear with a small one coming straight down 14" having 6 or 8 "square" pieces.

8" long 14" on top of the rear running parallel.

Last edited by Dorset; 25-Aug-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 25-Aug-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
It sounds like a Channel Master Advantage series:either a 3018 or a 3020. A picture would confirm that. If it's 10 years old, chances are good that it is corroded, and is likely not optimized for the stations that are currently available. Since channel 12 is not coming in, and, based on your TVFool.com scan, it should be, my first guess would be to replace the antenna and add a rotator. My best suggestion would be to go with a separate VHF high-band yagi like a Winegard YA-1713 for channel 12, and use an AntennasDirect XG-91 mounted 4' above the YA-1713 . Connect the two antennas using an antenna JOINER like the Pico-Macom UVSJ; NOT a simple splitter. While several combination antennas can equal the VHF performance of the YA-1713, none can equal the UHF capability of the AntennasDirect XG-91. By using a rotator, you should be able to see a few stations that would otherwise be out of the view of a fixed antenna system. I recommend using either a Channel Master 9521a or an Antennacraft TDP-2 fotator with the optional TB-105 support bearing for this purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDfringeantenna-2.jpg (388.8 KB, 575 views)
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2010, 9:32 PM   #8
Dorset

It works better than ever. They get all the channels that they had before the transition with a better picture.