TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Sep-2014, 1:21 AM   #1
ajm

Confirm the CM 4228HD is adequate

Would like to verify that the CM 4228HD is an adequate choice for the first seven digital channels in the following outdoor/rooftop situation:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24397532d8d86

Only 1 TV connected, no known splitters between antenna and TV.

In my location, antenna selection is limited, and being in Canada limits mail order from the US due to expensive shipping charges. So, my goal is to identify a good technical choice which is also readily available - like the 4228HD.

I'm asking for advice because I have a Digiwave 7285
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/produ.../10193718.aspx in an attic in this other location
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243dc03f874f0 and it's super finnicky. This antenna is connected to 50 ft of cable - so I'm not sure what to blame in this case.
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 2:38 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings ajm,

For your application the CM4228 is adequate for real channels 17,44 and 42. It will not be adequate for real channels 12 and 13.

You have two distinct broadcast bands (high VHF and UHF) to contend with. Further, you have two main directions to consider 340 degrees vs. 10 degrees.

If I were installing in your situation, I'd purchase an Antennacraft Y10713 for real channels 12 and 13 and orientate to magnetic 9 degrees. I'd then order the CM 4228 for channels 17, 44 and 42. Orientate the second antenna to heading 342.

Anything past CBXT will likely not be reliably received.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 3:29 AM   #3
ajm

Thank you for the advice. Is a 5 to 1000 MHz splitter suitable for combining the antenna signals at the pole?
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 4:53 AM   #4
StephanieS

No, a simple splitter won't work. When you have an dedicated antenna that focuses on each band (high VHF vs. UHF) you need specialized combiner. This unit only allows UHF signals to pass on one side of the combiner, and allowing VHF signals to pass on the other then combines them both into one coax going down into your home.

The unit that has high accolades is the Antenna's Direct EU385CF combiner.

A simple splitter introduces two sets of a signal into one coax and can result in unpredictable reception.

On your mast, you'll connect the Y10713 to the VHF input and the CM4228 to the UHF input. Run coax from the combiner into your home.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote