TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Oct-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
dm6789

Antenna advice, Is there any chance??

Trying to cut the cable but my situation is a little challenging due to a small mountain to the south. Here's the analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2ce0b35948

No problem getting the local ABC & PBS but is there any chance to pull in CBS(WBZ), NBC(WHDH) and FOX(WFXT)?

I'm looking for advice for the rooftop antenna setup to use. An attic mount would be preferred but I assume it's out of the question given the expected signal levels.

Thanks in advance.
dm6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2013, 5:22 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The three stations, CBS(WBZ), NBC(WHDH) and FOX(WFXT) are still in the realm of possible, but certainly not easy or guarantied.

I would try an Antennas Direct 91XG. You need to be able to mount the antenna clear of any and all obstructions, ie. no trees in the way. Be ready to experiment with height and location.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Oct-2013 at 3:03 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
dm6789

Update: As an experiment, I set up the largest antenna that I could find locally, an RCA ANT3036xr. Got it set up temporarily on the roof and aimed it at 174 degrees magnetic. I really didn't think it would work but much to my surprise, it pulled in all the stations I was hoping for as well as FOX (WFXT) and the Boston PBS channels.

The ANT3036 is really huge though at about 9' long X 8' wide. I'm looking for something smaller that has at least as good UHF performance. Specs on this antenna seem to be nonexistent though. I found some info that suggests it's the same antenna as the Channel Master 3018. It sure looks the same. The 3018 has an average gain of 8.4 dB for UHF. Assuming the 3036 is indeed the same antenna suggests that I may not need such a large antenna as I thought. It seems counterintuitive though given my signal analysis.

The 91XG that was suggested appears less intrusive than the 3036 but I'm wondering if I might be able to get by with something even smaller. I'm currently considering trying a multibay bowtie type like a DB2e or something similar. Does this seem like a good idea?
Old 8-Oct-2013, 3:14 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Let the 3036 run a few days... Through some wet and windy weather if possible. If reception remains reliable, great... If not, that confirms going smaller is not going to be a good plan.

I might suggest the DB8e if smaller is mandatory.

None of the UHF only antennas are going to do well with VHF signals, though Channel Master bills the CM-4228 as having some VHF capability. You may find yourself needing to add an Antennacraft Y5713 or even Y10713 to make WENH reliable. I would try a UHF only antenna by itself, then decide if the signals from real CH-9 & CH-11 are needed/wanted.

Old 9-Oct-2013, 3:40 AM   #5
teleview

Most of the receivable Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels are Very Weak Signal Strength at your location.

I recommend stay with Big 3036 antenna.

Or can install a Winegard HD7084P or a Winegard HD7698P antenna.

The tvfool radar report and channel list shows that the report is resolved to block level.

The reception is most likely better then what the tvfool report says because your actual location is at a better reception location.

This then is a example of the reason that is important to make a accurate tvfool report so one can better know what is receivable.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Oct-2013 at 8:03 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 25-Oct-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
dm6789

I decided not to try fooling around with a small antenna. Mounted a Winegard HD9095P on the roof. This setup works well when connected to one TV for all the channels that are at 174 degrees. I plan to keep it fixed with no rotor. The toughest channel that I care about getting is WFXT-DT (31).

I'd like to connect the antenna to 2 TV's. Here's the setup: 60 feet of RG6 to the 1st TV, 2-way splitter, approx 100ft of cable to the 2nd TV. With this in place, the 2nd TV doesn't pick up WFXT and it becomes iffy on the 1st TV. I assume a preamp should be installed. Signal strength for this channel is around 50% at the 1st TV. Most of the other channels show signal strength around 90%. Is a high gain preamp, say around 29dB UHF, likely to overpower the tuner on the stronger channels? Anyhow, I'd like to get preamp recommendations from the experts here.
Old 25-Oct-2013, 3:33 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Is a high gain preamp, say around 29dB UHF, likely to overpower the tuner on the stronger channels?
Yes. You have two "full power" stations less than 3 miles away with unobstructed signal paths.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2013, 2:12 PM   #8
dm6789

You're right, channel 34 has a very strong signal. It shows about 95% on my TV's signal meter. I forgot about this channel because I don't plan to ever watch it.

Channel 9 is not as strong because it's VHF and my antenna is UHF. It generally shows strength at around 85%.

Is there any amount of preamp gain that is safe to use without having channel 34 overpower the tuner?
Old 26-Oct-2013, 6:00 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

The RCA TVPRAMP1R is tolerant of strong signals. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13530

I have also had success using the Channel Master CM-3410 as a preamplifier. However, it needs an enclosure for protection from weather. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13659

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 26-Oct-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added link to CM-3410 as a preamp
Old 26-Oct-2013, 9:15 PM   #10
dm6789

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at much more expensive models but plan to give the RCA a try. Looks like good bang for the buck.