TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Oct-2013, 8:12 PM   #1
dbraller

Antenna recommendation for San Francisco condo

I'm looking for an antenna recommendation and would much appreciate your help. I live in San Francisco, have roof access (but would prefer something indoor if possible), and from roof have pretty good line of sight to Sutro Tower.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae1b9e688b4f

I've got a basic Radioshack antenna that doesn't cut it and only gets me a handful of channels (and only two of the four network channels).

Much thanks!
dbraller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Oct-2013, 9:37 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

If the indoor solution is not working well, it may be because you have an amplifier built in to the antenna. The signals are far too strong to use any type of amplifier.

I'd use an RCA ANT-751R on the roof. It's fairly small but should do quite well. Again, no amplifier.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Oct-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

The signal strengths are very strong at your location.

Do Not use any type or kind of amplifier or amplified antenna.

The amplifier will over load and be the cause bad reception and no reception.

Do not use a omnidirectional type antenna , the strong multi-path signal reflections bouncing allaround will be received by the omnidirectional antenna and be the cause of bad reception or no reception.

Indoor and attic Are Not reception friendly environments and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

If using a indoor type antenna , use a antenna such as the Terk HDTVi (not HDTVa) antenna.

If using a indoor type antenna Do Not use a antenna that has any type or kind of indoor antenna that has a control knob such as and not limited to the So Called fine tuning control.

A indoor antenna must be a plain Jane indoor antenna.

If you have a Plain Jane indoor type antenna such as the Terk HDTVi indoor antenna or a rods and loop type antenna.

Then put the antenna in/at a window or patio/balcony window that faces the ~ South West ~.

Aim the antenna at about 200 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

If a coax must be run through the rooms of your condo unit to get from the antenna to the Tv then So Be It.

---------------

Or can install a ANT751 antenna above the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , South West , South , South East , North East , North West.

Aim the ANT751 antenna at about 200 degree magnetic compass direction.

Do Not use / install any type or kind of antenna system amplifier.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Oct-2013 at 6:16 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 22-Oct-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
RhinoRunnin

Isn't that a luxury, dealing with too high of a signal
My motto now is "when buying a house, pick one on top of a hill."
RhinoRunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
dbraller

Much thanks

Ok, thanks for all of your input.

I've been using this one: RadioShack® Indoor HDTV Antenna

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...8&locale=en_US

I don't think it's amplified, but it does have the dial fine tuning. Let me take a good look at my roof and how I'd run cable into the house, and if that's not an option I'll take a look at the indoor options.

But yeah, doesn't seem like there's a perfect solution without either running from roof or putting an antenna in my window.

So if I go this way, the indoor recommendations is: Terk HDTVi.
Outdoor option: RCA ANT-751R

Much thanks!
dbraller is offline   Reply With Quote