TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Apr-2012, 6:20 AM   #1
inflames

Trying to get one more channel

Wanting to get some input on if my next ota goal is reasonably realistic.
Here's my report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d5bca5fe1f52ef

What i'am wanting to do is get a station that carries RTV. My options are (36)KFFS-CA and (33) KKAF-CD from what i can tell. Currently i have a db4e up 23ft and have not been able to get either of these stations at all.

I question if 36 is even there at all as it seems strange that it is listed as having the same strength and being about the same distance as 31. With 31 i can recieve 95-100% on my meter without an amp, yet get nothing at all on 36. Also i've found the tvfool report to not be 100% up to date for my area. For example it shows (41) K62DQ as being available, K62DQ is actualy off the air. Working on finding out if this is the case with 36, so far i've found online reports showing 36 being on the air and off the air.Hopefully i'll be able to confirm what the deal is soon.

If 36 turns out to be off-air that leaves me with 33. My current set-up won't pick it up even if aimed directly at the station. I've experimented with a CPA-19 preamp on the db4e and reception acrossed the board got worse so i assume one of the stronger stations was overloading the turner. So this leaves me with going higher or trying a different antenna. Since the db4 currently performs well with most of the other stations, i doubt i could change much with it without losing some other channel/channels. So i would be looking at seperate antenna with an a/b box. Which is fine with me if it is realistically possible for me to recieve 33. If so which antenna would be a good choice? I was thinking something like 91xg might allow me to use the preamp if aimed correctly due to it's narrower beam width as compared with the db4e. I dunno just a thought.

For the sake of discussion, lets assume 36 is still on the air. Anyone have any ideas as to why i'am not getting even the slightest blip from it when i can get 31 in strong and get 43 out of joplin in weak? Would a different antenna set-up have a reasonable chance of improving the situation?
inflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
signals unlimited

KFFS shows is listed as a class A. That commits them to be on air for all but short periods for maintenance or emergency repairs. The also have a construction permit for another channel 36. Not sure what that is. I would call the station for an explaination before going into any equipment changes or additions. If all is normal with their signal, try a double rescan on your set with the antenna in their direction. Disconnect the coax from your set, run a scan, reconnect the coax to your set, scan once more.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 18-Apr-2012 at 12:50 PM.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2012, 8:59 PM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Here are the rest of the posts of inflames this is a ongoing project. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=7015
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2012, 9:33 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

It looks like KFFS is transmitting as a Analog Broadcast Tv Station , Not Digital. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFDF-LD. Most Tv's can still tune the Analog signal that is all but gone now. Analog was the way that Tv was transmitted for 61 years and it's almost gone now. One can call the Tv station and get the latest. The secratery at the front desk will not know one way or the other. You will need to chat with some one at Tv station that actually knows that there are Real digital channels , Virtual digital Tv channels and Analog Tv channels. The engineering department will know.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote