Old 31-Aug-2014, 6:18 PM   #1
manchvegas

Downtown Manchester, NH

First, thank you for your help.
I live in downtown Manchester, NH:
TV Fool Report
Similar Manchester NH Thread

Desired Channels (most to least)
  • Network Channels (all but one are in Boston) - ABC (WMUR or WCVB), CBS (WBZ), NBC (WHDH), Fox (WFXT)
  • ION (WPXG)
  • PBS (WGBH or WGBX)
The Boston stations are really the main concern.

Experience so Far
I purchased an inexpensive open-box Winegard Flatwave Antenna (includes pre-amp). The local stations: WMUR, ION, Telemundo are no problem. As far as Boston: it occasionally receives a clear signal of CBS (WBZ) and ABC (WCVB), long enough to watch a couple of tv shows; but the next day, no signal. I seem to have had the best luck with the antenna positioned at about 135° (which is partially out a window) or 105° (which is directly out the window); so I'm hypothesizing that I'm picking up reflections from a building across the alley? Positioned at 165°/166° (with a Cell Phone compass, I'm ordering an actual compass), the correct orientation, I haven't gotten either station but I haven't left it there for more than 30 minutes a few times. Also in this orientation, its angled into a brick wall.

Potential Problems
The two biggest problems are: that I'm in an apartment building, so I can't mount an antenna on the outside or the roof, and that there's no direct line of sight to the Boston stations. The only windows face East and there's a least one old brick building in what would be the line of sight (the building is about 4 stories tall).

Proposed Solution
Is there any possible solution here or is the attenuation of the neighbouring buildings dousing all hopes of receiving OTA Boston stations? I'd be willing to try a larger antenna, such as Antennas Direct 91XG or Antennas Direct Clearstream 2 or Clearstream 4; but I think the attenuation of the buildings downtown is just destroying the signal. I'm having trouble finding the gain for the Winegard Flatwave to be able to understand how much additional gain would be needed from an antenna to reliably receive the Boston stations. So far though, any additional gain doesn't seem too promising though?

Last edited by manchvegas; 31-Aug-2014 at 6:29 PM.
manchvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Aug-2014, 6:51 PM   #2
Tower Guy

There's too little signal for an indoor antenna to work reliably. You might consider a stealth mounting for a C2 antenna in something like a flower box on the east window but with the antenna aimed south. The other option is to aim for a bounce shot off of one of the nearby taller buildings. Use a second VHF antenna for WMUR.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Aug-2014, 7:01 PM   #3
teleview

+=>

What floor is the apartment??

What is the top floor of the building??

Does the apartment have any , patios/balconies directions of , East , South East , South , South West , West.

-------------

I am not recommending small satellite system.

My question is , are any of the small satellite dishes any where on the outside of the building??

If so , a small Tv antenna can also be installed on the outside of the building.

And even if no small satellite dishes are any where on the outside of the building.

Some apartment building owners will allow a Tv antenna on the roof.

And some apartment buildings are wired with coax for a Tv antenna on the roof.

And as an example , have a old Tv antenna on the roof that has fallen into disrepair , and as such with a New antenna and etc. , the antenna system can be reactivated

Last edited by teleview; 1-Sep-2014 at 7:29 PM.
Old 31-Aug-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
manchvegas

Thanks for the feedback Tower Guy. I did a quick chicken test with the Winegard Flatwave out the window aimed South and wasn't able to pick up CBS or ABC from Boston. Will the C2 Antenna with a Pre-Amp provide substantially more gain to bring in those stations?

I'll look into reflections from a taller building. Unfortunately I don't think any of the larger buildings are in the proper position.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by manchvegas; 1-Sep-2014 at 8:42 PM.
Old 1-Sep-2014, 8:42 PM   #5
manchvegas

Thanks for the response teleview.

The apartment is on floor 3 of 4. Some apartments have patios/balconies facing North, but mine is not one of them and there are no Patios balconies in the East/Southeast direction for a line of sight to Boston.

There are no Satellite dishes on the outside of the building. You bring up a good point though; I can't visibly see any antennas or satellite dishes on the roof, but I also can't see most of the roof because there are other buildings in the way. I've considered talking to the company about it. Problem is, they're a pretty big company, so their first and easiest response is always No. In the rental contract, they explicitly prohibit drilling into the building to mount antennas, but that does not preclude weighing down the antenna for mounting. I'm going to start a conversation with them, but if its like every other conversation I've had so far, they're good at saying No.

Either way, the consensus so far sounds like indoors reception is difficult, regardless of the pre-amp and antenna gain? Where's outdoors, particularly the higher the better is the best bet?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 2-Sep-2014, 5:47 AM   #6
teleview

+=>

If you can move to an other apartment of the building that has a better view to the South.

Transfer to another property and apartment that has a better view.

Or you can have the lease nullified because you have to move because of your job or family or some other reason.

-------------------------------

I have been aware of Tablo it was in the Testing phase of development. I forgot about it. Then a question asker that is wanting help with reception . Said the word Tablo.

Now that Tablo is out of the testing phase of development.

You can check it out.

The receiver can be placed at a location where reception with a antenna is good .

Like at a relatives house or some where else with good reception.

And Tablo will stream over the internet to your apartment computer or portable device.

http://www.tablotv.com

Last edited by teleview; 3-Sep-2014 at 9:24 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 3-Sep-2014, 2:08 AM   #7
manchvegas

Thanks for your input. Tablo looks like a good option; I can think of some folks that may be in a good location for an antenna. Thanks again for your help.