TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Oct-2010, 3:55 PM   #1
dovesong

Question Combining two OTA antennas into one signal?

Good morning, everyone! First things first:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a3620faa536728

I live in a third-floor apartment and am using an indoor antenna to receive OTA programming. It's the RCA ANT1650 ( http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT1650-Di...6&sr=8-2-fkmr0 ). Because I'm in an apartment, an outdoor mount is not an option.

I am successfully receiving nearly every station I wish to receive, which includes:

61.1 Fox
30.1 NBC
3.1 CBS
26.1 ION
20.1 CW
24.1 PBS

Those stations are all UHF. There are two more stations I wish to receive, which come in from a much different angle than the other stations. They are:

8.1 ABC (vhf)
59.1 MyN (uhf)

If I re-orient my antenna, I CAN receive these two stations, but I lose the other stations.

What economical options do I have? I have an old antenna which I could try to use to pick up ABC and MyN, and then possibly combine the two signals with a splitter/combiner. Would that work? I need the final antenna signal to work with my TiVo, so a manual switch with two separate cable lines is not an option.

I could also look into a Channel Master JoinTenna ( http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Ant...Jointennas.htm ), except I think I would need two jointennas and one more antenna in addition to my spare in order to get both ABC (8.1) and MyN (59.1). Right?

Is there a different indoor antenna that might be able to pick up all of the channels I want to receive?

Any and all advice is gratefully welcomed... thank you!!
dovesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2010, 4:00 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovesong View Post
I think I would need two jointennas and one more antenna in addition to my spare in order to get both ABC (8.1) and MyN (59.1). Right?
ABC is cheap and easy, use a UVSJ instead of a Jointenna.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2010, 4:50 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Reception

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2010, 5:21 PM   #4
dovesong

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
Ok, so that means the "real" channels I want to receive are 10 (ABC) and 39 (MyN).

Since NBC is broadcast on real channel 11, that means the Channel Master JoinTenna would not be a good solution to catch ABC, right? But, as Tower Guy suggests, I could use a UVSJ for ABC and maybe a Jointenna for MyN? That solution would still require a total of three antennas, though... any better options out there?

Thanks again!
dovesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
the_other_one

Quote:
Ok, so that means the "real" channels I want to receive are 10 (ABC) and 39 (MyN).

Since NBC is broadcast on real channel 11, that means the Channel Master JoinTenna would not be a good solution to catch ABC, right? But, as Tower Guy suggests, I could use a UVSJ for ABC and maybe a Jointenna for MyN? That solution would still require a total of three antennas, though... any better options out there?

Thanks again!
dovesong,

I don't think you need to worry about NBC on RF11 as you already listed WVIT NBC 30.1 (RF35).

I have seen the TERK HDTVi recommended. It is an indoor UHF VHF combo that is un-amplified (based on your strong signals I believe you want to avoid amplification). If you can buy it from a place you can return it (Amazon?) then it would be worth trying.

the_other_one
the_other_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2010, 6:50 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
That solution would still require a total of three antennas, though... any better options out there?
A two antenna solution would be a 7-69 for New Haven (HD 7694P or HBU-33) with a UVSJ to separate the UHF and VHF, a second UVSJ to add the VHF to the Hartford/Springfield/WCDC antenna, and the Jointenna to add channel 39 to the main line.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Oct-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_other_one View Post
dovesong,

I don't think you need to worry about NBC on RF11 as you already listed WVIT NBC 30.1 (RF35).

I have seen the TERK HDTVi recommended. It is an indoor UHF VHF combo that is un-amplified (based on your strong signals I believe you want to avoid amplification). If you can buy it from a place you can return it (Amazon?) then it would be worth trying.

the_other_one
WWLP may have programs that he'd like to watch at a certain time and they may not be on WVIT. I grew up in the Hartford area and I would frequently watch the Springfield area stations in addition to the stations from Hartford-New Haven. I can also recall my mother watching the PBS station from Springfield more than the PBS station from Hartford.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote