TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-May-2012, 1:26 PM   #1
betacamsp

Will a CS5 Work for Me

I'm in a situation similar to PhotoJim, but situated a few miles further away from Global. Here is my polar plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...de650a38e58254. I'm interested in getting a C5 and putting it in my attic; hoping to get results similar to PhotoJims, but I'd like to have confidence that it will work before I order the C5.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 13-May-2012 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Made a seperate thread
betacamsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 5:52 PM   #2
Electron

Tv Antennas and Tv Reception

If the attic and roof and roof area is the standard wood framing with wood or vinyl siding with composition singles and no metal backed insulation. . In the attic aim the Antennas Direct C5 at about 286 degree magnetic compass , north west because CFRE-DT channel 11 GTN is the weakest Tv station. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. The other 3 Tv stations are so strong that they will be receivd no matter which way the antenna aimed. Yes the Digital Tv stations will be received with the antenna in the attic. Scan the Tv for new channels from time to time because new Tv stations and channels can begin transmitting at any time with out notice.

Last edited by Electron; 13-May-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 5:55 PM   #3
signals unlimited

Not only work, an overkill. "Nothing wrong with that!"
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 6:59 PM   #4
Electron

F.T.A. Free To Air Satellite Tv.

Something else to consider. Yes there is Small Dish and receiver for Free To Receive and watch satellite Tv. Here is a place to start gathering information. http://www.ftalist.com/index.php. All of the American PBS channels/services are free to receive and watch. And there are other Free channels to receive and watch. One place that sells and will install the equipment if you like is http://www.saveandreplay.com. An interesting aspect of F.T.A. is few Canada born generational citizens and USA born generational citizens know about FTA. However people that move here from somewhere else know about it. Most other places around the world people are aware of and receive FTA satellite tv.

Last edited by Electron; 13-May-2012 at 9:57 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
betacamsp

That's good news. I've tried at least two other antennas (Terk, Philips SDV8622T/27, both amplified), one on the second floor and one in the attic, and neither was able to receive CFRE-DT. The other signals would come in well though. I'll seriously consider suspending a C5 in the attic as outlined. The C5 will have to receive through a wood roof with asphalt shingles; no significant metal involved. Thank You.
Old 14-May-2012, 2:11 AM   #6
No static at all

Another potential obstacle for receiving channel 11 is the scorching signal from CIZL FM. 98.9 falls right on top of channel 11 as a 2nd harmonic.

I suggest purchasing an HLSJ to attenuate everything below channel 7. Use a terminator on the unused LO output of the HLSJ.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jun-2012, 2:38 PM   #7
betacamsp

Great result, as expected

I received yesterday the C5 I ordered from microcad.ca. I haphazardly placed the antenna in the attic this morning and did an auto-scan. All 4 local signals were detected and the HDTV indicates good and very-good signal quality for those broadcasts. Thanks everyone for the guidance. Now I just need to do the proper, permanent attic installation.