TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Sep-2014, 1:15 AM   #1
Jasondk0

Antenna suggestions -plover

I am looking for suggestions on an antenna for my location. I currently have an HDX1000 Amplified Antenna antenna on my roof (27ft)that does okay, but am looking for a more consistent signal. Particularly from the nbc channel, which says 38 on my chart but is actually 13.1 on my tv. Here is my location link http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243306d30ba41

I can pretty consistently pick up 7.x(CBS), 9.x(abc), 20.x(PBS). But would like better reception on 55.x(fox) and 13.x(NBC). I'm also not sure if I need VHF or UHF, but I think I need both. Any help would be much appreciated.
Jasondk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Sep-2014, 3:24 PM   #2
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasondk0 View Post
I am looking for suggestions on an antenna for my location. I currently have an HDX1000 Amplified Antenna antenna on my roof (27ft)that does okay, but am looking for a more consistent signal. Particularly from the nbc channel, which says 38 on my chart but is actually 13.1 on my tv. Here is my location link http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243306d30ba41

I can pretty consistently pick up 7.x(CBS), 9.x(abc), 20.x(PBS). But would like better reception on 55.x(fox) and 13.x(NBC). I'm also not sure if I need VHF or UHF, but I think I need both. Any help would be much appreciated.
Just FYI - the 13.1 format numbers are virtual and meaningless to reception issues. Apparently DTV multiplexes multiple channels into a single real carrier frequency. The 13.1. 9.x etc. numbers are arbitrary indices into the actual frequency that carries the channel. So 38 for 13.1 means that your tuner says it's 13.1, and is carried on the band corresponding to REAL channel 38 at 609.25 MHz carrier (UHF).

Shown in more detail here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televis...he_Philippines

Hope I did not make that too complicated.

So you need VHF high to get WSAW (CBS) and WAOW (ABC), and further down the list WLUK (FOX).

For antenna issues, look only at the REAL channels, not the virtual channels. 2-6 is VHF low, 7-13 is VHF high, and 14-69 is UHF. Look at the channel distribution below the list of channels on your TVFool report.

Last edited by timgr; 5-Sep-2014 at 3:28 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Sep-2014, 3:28 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

You're right, there's a mix of UHF and VHF channels in your area. UHF channels are the real channels 14 and higher. There are two groups of VHF channels in use through-out North America, the High-VHF group is real channels 7 through 13, and the Low-VHF group which includes real channel 2 through 6.

Because digital TV technology supports multiple video channels in the same bandwidth that one analog channel occupied, the virtual channel is needed. The antenna is not 'aware' of virtual channels, only the real channel is relevant when choosing the type (UHF, VHF or combination) of antenna. If you consider the real channel to be analogous to a street address, the virtual channel is analogous to an apartment number. In the analog only days, they could only send one video per real channel, so there was never any need for more addressing detail. Now with the DTV format, the virtual channel is often chosen to maintain branding that has been in place for many years or even decades. The switch to DTV included a period of transition that saw many stations build all new transmitters while their existing analog systems remained in operation. The new DTV transmitters could not operate on the same real channel that was occupied by the legacy analog transmission. Once the analog systems were shut down in 2009, few stations had a compelling need to move the new DTV operation to the vacated channel that the analog system had used. So, many virtual channel assignments do not match the real channel number, which can be a source of confusion until one understands the need for real channel numbers (street address) and virtual channel numbers (apartment numbers).

Your experience with the HDX1000 is somewhat common. It is not particularly directional. This means that aiming it is not very critical but, it will also receive from multiple directions... if there are sources of interference or multipath from directions other than the direction of the desired signal source, low signal quality can result.

To improve the quality of a received signal, you may need to use a more directional antenna, which will result in an increase in desired signal while reducing undesired reflections and interference.

An Antennacraft HBU-44 (equipped with an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier) pointed a bit west of due north (about 350° per a compass) will very likely give you solid reception of the signals from the north and NW. This should include the signal from W27AU which is a translator station that repeats the signal from WJFW, another NBC affiliate.

To receive WEAU, will require a second antenna dedicated to that one signal. Combining the two antennas into a signal coax is possible, but can be a bit expensive when the proper filters are used. Often a second antenna is best cabled as a separate system, and terminated in an external set top tuner that connects to an axillary video input of your TV.

Obviously, if you are happy with the WJFW version of NBC programing, you could skip the second antenna,forgoing WEAU reception.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 6-Sep-2014 at 7:31 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2014, 3:20 AM   #4
Jasondk0

Thx GroundUrMast and timgr for the great explanations. Very helpful. GroundUrMast, the w27au repeater station is actually preferred, I just didn't think I would be able to pick it up since I haven't been able to yet with my old antenna. After much research this seems like a great setup, I was torn between the Winegard and Antennacraft but think I will go with your suggestion. Two more questions. 1. Will the 350° direction still pull in the 31 and 46 channels or will I need to rotate the antenna to pull them in as needed? 2. Does it matter where the preamp sits, or in other words how far from the antenna can it sit? Thanks so much for your help.
Jasondk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2014, 4:00 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Use the suggested aim points as a starting position, then adjust for best overall results. You're not in an extreme deep fringe situation... So I have I have confidence that the HBU-44 can get the job done for you.

I'd like to repeat the general caution that, locations that force you to aim through trees and structures are usually poor choices as antenna sites. Mounting the antenna in a location that has a clear view toward the signal source can be extremely important when trying to establish reliable reception. Be sure to test reception at a proposed location, before drilling any holes or cutting cable, etc.

The ideal location for a preamp is near the antenna. A 3' to 6' cable from the antenna to the preamp is usually all that's needed if the preamp is located ideally. Amplifiers can not restore signal quality lost in cable attenuation on the input side of the amp. Preamplifiers and distribution amplifiers are only able to help with losses in cable and splitters connected to the amp's output. The less loss ahead of an amp, the better.

Old 6-Sep-2014, 4:05 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

A premium alternative option would be a two antenna system...

An Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R.

This combination gives you maximum flexibility with aiming. The left and right panels of the DB8E can be aimed in different directions. The TVPRAMP1R has inputs for each antenna (one UHF and one VHF).