TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Apr-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
scanpennett

Chicago Condo Directv to OTH Ant

We live on the 1st floor/basement (duplex down) in a 5 story condo building. With only 20 units we are allowed to have our own dish/cable provider we wish. Currently we have a Directv HD Dish on the roof (5 stories up) with cables that drop the hight of the building to our basement and 2 HD TVs in our home. I recently cancelled our Directv service in hopes of using only our streaming media player and a digial antenna. I tried the Muhu Leaf Plus 3 feet from a window with a southern exposure but I cannot receive ABC and NBC is iffy. We are 1 1/2 miles from downtown and most of the buildings around us are no taller than 3-5 stories. Here is our analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fcfb6c1f61a4a

I would like to use our existing dish wiring and mount an outdoor antenna. My questions are: 1. Is there a chance I'll get ABC given my analysis 2. I don't really have a way to "ground" an outdoor antenna - is this an increased lighning risk over a dish 3. The directv "box" in the basement that all of the wires are routed through - what do I need to put in place of this.

If this is doable - should I get an installer since I have very little knowledge in this subject area?

Last edited by scanpennett; 26-Apr-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: additional info
scanpennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
signals unlimited

This could be quite simple if you have easy safe access to the roof. I would use the RCA model# ANT751 from www.solidsignals.com . This is an antenna that will bring in all of the stations to your South.

Mount it on the satellite pole turn it to the magnetic location for the channels as per the TV FOOL report, and use the in place cable. You need to replace any splitters that are in your satellite system. locate and replace with splitters designed for DTV. You should be grounded, but if thats not practical, at least use power strips at your sets that have a ground fault loop for your cable. available at any Lowes ect. Just connect to your sets and scan for DTV stations....NOT CABLE CHANNELS. If you are not comfortable on the roof DON'T DO IT! Otherwise full speed ahead.

Good luck!
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The digital broadcast Tv stations/channels are Very Strong at your location. The perfered antenna on the roof is a Winegard HD7000R antenna (that is designed to receive All the broadcast Tv channels of VHF low band 2 thru 6 , VHF high band 7 thru 13 and UHF 14 thru 51) aimed at about 155 degree magnetic compass. The HD7000R antennas receiving elements at the back of the antenna are 8 feet wide. And that is 100% Ok. The situation is that people will be on the roof as time goes along , and sooner or later someone will break off the long metal reception elements. That being the case , install a smaller ANT751 antenna aimed at about 155 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. There are antenna mounts that are Made For mounting a dish and Tv antenna on the same mount. The antenna will use the same ground as as the dish. If your dish coax cables are Separate from the other coax cables of the other people that live in the building then it will be easy to connect the antenna to the dishes coax cables. The Tv transmissions are Very Strong at your location , I do not think that a antenna amplifier will be required. The Tv Must Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Antenna Channels' or 'Air Channels' because the Broadcast Tv Transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to your receiving antenna. Do Not scan for cable tv channels or satellite Tv channels. It will be best if the installation is done by some one that has some idea of what to do. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Last edited by Electron; 27-Apr-2012 at 6:43 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
signals unlimited

If you do that installation, we would be interested to know the results. That information can be very usefull when we see similar request.

Thanks!
Old 27-Apr-2012, 4:55 PM   #5
scanpennett

Thank you for the advice. I do have access to the roof and although there is limited access to the roof (it doesn't have a deck so we are only able to go up there for satellite repairs, ac repairs, etc) I worry that the big Winegard might raise a few eyebrows. I will probably try the RCA ANT-751. Is this antenna the same as ANT-751R? Also, can you recommend a mount to attach this to my satellite?
scanpennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2012, 5:14 PM   #6
signals unlimited

The pole that your dish is on should work fine for the ANT751. If you are concerned about the estetics of the ANT 751, look at www.tripleplayantenna.com. A compact all fiberglass antenna that will do a great job reception wise and resemble a small satellite dish.
Old 27-Apr-2012, 5:30 PM   #7
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

It is Ok to think creativly when searching for antenna mount , there are MANY different type kinds and configurations. In the Google search box type in word combinations Such As But Not Limited To , antenna mounts , satellite antenna mounts , antenna mounts adapters , satellite and antenna mounts and etc. .

Last edited by Electron; 27-Apr-2012 at 6:45 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote