TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jan-2012, 3:18 PM   #1
lkruper

Aiming an antenna

All of the stations I am trying to get are at the same location about 25 miles away on Mt Wilson. TV Fool shows that I am 2Edge. I went up to aim the antenna again after reading up on the subject on this forum. Something happened that I did not expect. I brought in a station (4.1) that I did not get before and improved another that was intermittent (28.1) so that it came in very solid (> 50%) based on my Sony TV diagnostics. However, station 7.1 which was between 80% and 90% signal fell to about 30%. I did not expect this. All the stations are in the same location and so it should not be possible to aim the antenna to improve one but not the other.

Does the fact that I am not LOS mean that I am aiming the antenna at a reflection for one channel that might not be the best "reflection" for another station? Could the roof line and attic walls also be a factor in this?
lkruper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2012, 3:43 PM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

In the Pending Applications Included for Only Digital tv stations. I see that the two groups of tv stations are at 300 and 81 degree magnetic compass. Most outdoor antennas are Directional type antennas , receiving the best in one direction , the forward direction. Of the antennas shown , what antenna looks the most like the antenna on the roof. http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Or better yet what is the make and model number of the antenna?? .

Last edited by Electron; 8-Jan-2012 at 3:45 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2012, 3:53 PM   #3
lkruper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
In the Pending Applications Included for Only Digital tv stations. I see that the two groups of tv stations are at 300 and 81 degree magnetic compass. Most outdoor antennas are Directional type antennas , receiving the best in one direction , the forward direction. Of the antennas shown , what antenna looks the most like the antenna on the roof. http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Or better yet what is the make and model number of the antenna?? .
All of the stations I want and the one I really need (but cannot get) are all at 314 degrees. The only one I cannot get now that I need is 2.1 (real 43). I have a 12' Radio Shack UHF/VHF/FM antenna that is about 20+ years old. The specifics of the signals I can get are in another thread with Radio Shack in the title.

At this point I am considering a UHF antenna with a combiner to get channel 2.1. I was also considering another posters recommendation to get the big Winegard which is about 18" longer than my RS antenna. That might be a very tight fit.

However, if it is really true that I may need to aim the two antennas at slightly different positions (as per my OP) even though they are theoretically all at 314 degrees then having two antennas may be necessary.

*** Edit ***
I found this site that speaks about Multipath that the fact that UHF (which is my channel 2.1) could be affected. Could this discussion pertain to my problem? It looks so complicated that I think I may just need to find a good UHF antenna location the attic by trial and error.

Last edited by lkruper; 8-Jan-2012 at 4:17 PM.
Old 8-Jan-2012, 8:44 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=6792
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2012, 9:36 PM   #5
lkruper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Hi Electron. I created this thread to discuss how to aim an antenna, not how to choose one or to discuss Radio Shack antennas in particular.

If you have a link which discusses multipath, etc, I would very much like to read up on that subject.