TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Aug-2014, 8:02 AM   #1
Mike121182

Help in Pittsburg, CA (Bay Area)

I am having trouble getting my local channels and the only digital channel that I can get is CBS (very easily) on channel 13.1 and also a couple Spanish language channels that I don't care about.

I haven't tried using the antenna in the past week, but I just turned on my tv to the antenna input and noticed that I am getting FOX on channel 40.1. I am able to see some picture on CBS, CW (31.1), MyN (58.1) and NBC (3.1), but there is a lot of distortion and "noise" and complete loss of signal. I have no reception at all on ABC or PBS. Moving my antenna around last week seemed to effect reception, but I was only getting CBS and no signal whatsoever on these other channels.

My current antenna is an RCA 1600F indoor antenna (http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT1600F-D.../dp/B0027FZQ1E). It worked perfectly and effortlessly in Tucson, AZ although occasionally I had to move the antenna or just the coax cable to get certain channels to come in. Here in Pittsburg, CA, I tried using a coax splitter with a very long cable (not sure how many feet but at least 10-20 feet) in order to try holding the antenna at different locations in the house. The splitter is still plugged in right now and allowing me to see the channels described in the previous paragraph.

My main goal is to be able to watch local US football games which will primarily be on FOX and CBS, but I would also like the other major network channels like ABC and NBC. I see that I should be able to get PBS and CW, so I would like those channels as well. I think channel 58.1 looks like it might be My Network TV which also would be a nice channel to have.

My TV is mounted to the north facing wall on the ground floor of the house and it appears that the signal is coming from the northeast, so I lucked out there possibly. I can mount the antenna on the wall easily by putting a nail in the wall and hanging it or I can just lay it flat in the built in "cubby hole" for the TV.

I am on a budget and I am renting my house, so I do not want an outdoor antenna mounted on the roof. I would prefer a lower priced indoor antenna if my current antenna just isn't strong enough.

I'm basically a blank slate since I didn't have to do any research the last time I used an antenna. Should I be able to get the channels I want? Do I need a new indoor antenna or is an outdoor antenna my only option? Or an amplifier of some kind (also something I know nothing about)? Is the splitter a good or bad idea?

Here is my signal analysis using the interactive maps:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2ff2e75a9589

Here is my signal analysis without using the interactive maps:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f6dbee039fa
Mike121182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2014, 9:23 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hello Mike,

Sorry to hear of your reception issues. Your reception plot shows good signal strength for Sacramento affiliates at your location.

However, your specific desire for an indoor antenna may not be ideal for you. By using an antenna indoors you 1) reduce the signal greatly the antenna receives 2) slices and dices the signal and lastly 3) exposes the signal to assorted household interference. In AZ you may have stronger signals and different variables. My concern here is you will end up with antenna after antenna with no satisfactory reception.

Allow me to propose a solution that may work. I get the feeling you are envisioning these old school huge 10 foot long antennas on your roof - what you specifically want to avoid. There are outdoor antenna options that mount on small J pole brackets that utilize no more space than one of the satellite provider's dishes. You could mount on your eave with ease and it'd be no worse than drilling 4 screws.

This is what the set up looks like:

I think you could avoid the drama with your landlord over a large aerial with this set up.

You are also fortunate that you can use these smaller localized antennas. To that end I'd suggest a Antennacraft HBU11k (you can find it for about 40 bucks shipped). Mount outdoors with a clear pathway to magnetic heading 41. I'd expect you will reliably receive all Sacramento broadcasts at that heading.

Indoor options are never favored here for their highly localized variables which make them near impossible to predict.

Best of luck.

Last edited by StephanieS; 22-Aug-2014 at 9:28 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
teleview

+=>

A Simple reception situation.

Above the Peak of the Roof install a.

http://www.antennacraft.net.

AC9 antenna.

In such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the , attic , roof , building , of all directions.

Aim the AC9 antenna at about 41 degree magnetic compass direction.

---------------------

Here is how to aim antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

Also most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

---------------------

Here are some antenna mounts that will put the antenna above the roof.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html. Install the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/244.html. Can be mounted on eave at peak of roof.

http://www.ronard.com.

---------------------

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Aug-2014 at 4:51 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 23-Aug-2014, 5:54 AM   #4
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Try temporarily putting the antenna outside, even if it means just sticking it out a window. If there is a dramatic improvement, you may be dealing with foil-backed drywall or sheathing that is blocking the signal. Also, please explain why you are using a splitter and how it is connected.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2014, 6:18 AM   #5
teleview

+=>

Buildings/houses that are wrapped with Stucko have stucko Wire wrapped around the house.

The wire holds the stucko in place and the wire is made of metal.

The Metal Net of Wire does a wonderful and fantastic job of reflecting Tv signals away so the Tv signals can not reach the Tv antenna in the house.

Also insulation panels that have a metal surface and wall panels that have metal surface do a wonderful and fantastic job of reflecting Tv signals away so the Tv signals can not get to the Tv antenna inside the house.

And so does metal roofs.

And metal doors.

Also bricks and rock walls do a great job of absorbing and blocking reception.

And so does tile roofs.

And so does concrete and concrete blocks.

---------------

Yes is important to install the Tv antenna at a location that the Tv signal can get to the Tv antenna.

Above the peak of the roof is a good place.
Old 25-Aug-2014, 6:40 PM   #6
Mike121182

Thanks for the replies. As I already mentioned in my original post, the only reason I added a splitter to the antenna was to make the antenna's attached coax cable longer so that I could test the reception in other areas of the living room. But, I didn't have much luck so I removed the splitter.

The coax cable attached to the antenna is only above 5 feet long, so I can't try sticking the antenna out a window. If I re-attach the splitter, I would be able to try that.

As I already mentioned, I am renting my house so I do not want an outdoor antenna since I don't know how much longer I will be living here. My landlord also put in the lease that he doesn't want anything mounted on the roof and I don't want to fight with him over it even if I could win.

I found a spot for the antenna where I can get CBS, FOX, and a couple other channels. That will be enough for football, so I may just leave everything as is for now. Especially if there are no other indoor antennas that could improve my signal. Thank you again for the help if there is no advice about indoor antennas.
Mike121182 is offline   Reply With Quote