TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Apr-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
cloudbase

Looking for best attic antenna

I need to install my antenna in the attic of my home. The height will be about 30-35 ft. The construction is standard shingle and no insulation in the roof. Currently I am using an RCA ANT806 antenna but I don't think is does a great job when it rains even a little.

Here is my tvfool plot

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94d6b71ea63b

The stations of most interest are located at 144 degrees. Channel 17 seems to have the most problems and has the least power of the main network stations. We do also watch PBS ch 4 at 268 degrees.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by cloudbase; 16-Apr-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Adding ch 4
cloudbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 8:22 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Have you considered testing reception outdoors?

Before spending more money on another antenna, I'd try a more reception friendly location.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 8:33 PM   #3
cloudbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Have you considered testing reception outdoors?

Before spending more money on another antenna, I'd try a more reception friendly location.
Yes I have. My first location is out on the roof on my covered deck. The reception got worse. Basically this puts more of my house between the transmitter and my antenna. This is why I wanted in the attic. It is higher and only has one layer of wall between the antenna and the transmitter. It also cuts out my neighbors house from the path. Putting it out on the roof would require an installer due to the pitch and height of the roof and make it hard to maintain if it gets damaged.

My reception is mostly very good even with the antenna inside. I just think maybe a more directional antenna in the attic would do better if it rains. I was looking to try the HBU22 as it has been recommended on this forum before. It is relatively cheap and if it doesn't improve the reception I can return it.
cloudbase is offline   Reply With Quote