TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Apr-2015, 5:32 AM   #1
whitestingray81

Suggestions on indoor antenna (Madison, CT)

Here is my TV Fool report.

I need a recommendation for an indoor antenna that can get me the channels in yellow. I bought this antenna (35 mile variety) along with a booster (which seems to make no difference). I have it taped to the inside roof which is where it seems to get the best signal. There is no attic as it's just a small summer cottage a mile or so from the beach.

I can only get ABC, ION, and a couple of other almost useless channels. I would really like to get NBC, CBS, and FOX. An outdoor antenna isn't out of the question, but I cannot mount it to the roof or anything. I'd have to hang it out of a window or put it in the ground. But I'd REALLY like to just use an indoor antenna. I'm on a tight budget, though. Something under $100 would be great, and even greater if it was less. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
whitestingray81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hello Whitestringray,

Your report would require an outdoor mounted antenna to be successful for NBC, CBS and FOX from magnetic 348/353. The issue you run into is signal strength and pathways to the transmitter. You are in 2 edge conditions with moderate/weak signals. A small windowsill antenna likely won't be enough in this situation. On top of this, you have both high VHF and UHF signals.

Your requirements at a minimum involve an Antennas Direct DB8e orientated to magnetic 350. This needs to be outdoors, with a clear line of sight to magnetic 350.

You may even need a second small VHF antenna for ABC on real channel 10. However, you may get lucky and the DB8e may receive it.

The bottom line here is no small compact walmart type antenna will likely provide stable reception of Hartford at your location.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2015, 5:43 PM   #3
whitestingray81

Wow, thanks for confirming my fears! I guess that's not too bad of an investment. Just need to see about mounting it on the roof. Thanks for the info!
whitestingray81 is offline   Reply With Quote