TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Jul-2011, 2:02 AM   #1
gossamer

Eave mounting problems

Hi all,

I've just received the antenna and mounting kit, including an eave mount, but I'm having trouble mounting it. I'm using this eave mount:

http://www.3starinc.com/adjustable_e...t_bracket.html

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask such a question, but I can't find a stud in the place where it would be best suited for mounting, and wondered if I was doing something wrong.

I drilled a few pilot holes along the eave, but it just feels like I'm drilling into pine and not a stud, which I just don't understand. How could there not be a stud on this part of the roof? How could I miss it?

Does someone have any familiarity with what's behind the aluminium flashing on a typical cape style house?

I'm really not sure the information that I could provide to be helpful in troubleshooting my problem, or if I should just get a carpenter involved?

Thanks,
Dave
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2011, 7:19 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I have a similar style roof. I also have easy access to the attic, making it easy to look at the inside of the gable ends. If you can't get in your attic for what ever reason, you are stuck guessing. If you feel like you are getting in over your head, a carpenter may save you from serious damage to your home.

I would expect to find trim board or siding (typically Cedar here in Seattle) over the rafter which in my case is Douglas Fir from the late 40's or early 50's. I would not count on lap siding to have the strength to hold screws in a storm. You are on the right track to put threads into a structural member such as a stud or rafter. Seal with a quality caulk (I prefer paint-able caulk, not Silicone, which will not hold paint) to prevent water leaking in though the fastener penetrations.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2011, 2:12 AM   #3
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I have a similar style roof. I also have easy access to the attic, making it easy to look at the inside of the gable ends. If you can't get in your attic for what ever reason, you are stuck guessing. If you feel like you are getting in over your head, a carpenter may save you from serious damage to your home.
No, I don't have an attic, so only have the outside as a reference.

Quote:
I would expect to find trim board or siding (typically Cedar here in Seattle) over the rafter which in my case is Douglas Fir from the late 40's or early 50's. I would not count on lap siding to have the strength to hold screws in a storm. You are on the right track to put threads into a structural member such as a stud or rafter. Seal with a quality caulk (I prefer paint-able caulk, not Silicone, which will not hold paint) to prevent water leaking in though the fastener penetrations.
Yeah, the house was also built in the 50s, mostly from pine/fir, so I wouldn't even think of attempting to secure it from only that.

Maybe I'm just SOL? I mean, if there's no stud there, how is a carpenter going to help, outside of reframing the house or something?

Maybe I'd just be better off settling for a second mounting option? There really isn't a second option, sans a tripod which I _really_ wanted to avoid because of the steep pitch of the roof.

Thanks again,
Dave
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote