TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Mar-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
billw

Antenna help in Dallas, PA

Hi all,
I need a little help with antenna selection. Last autumn I built an HTPC with a Hauppauge 2250 as the TV tuner which is connected through my AV receiver to a Panasonic plasma TV. Windows 7 Media Center is the software used for live/recorded TV. I ditched my satellite provider last October and haven’t looked back. Most of our TV viewing is on network television so the 450 channels of nothing to watch offered by the satellite provider was pretty much a waste of money for me. I’ve supplemented my TV viewing with Netflix and Amazon on demand. This is the only system in the house.

I purchased an Antennas Direct – Clear Stream Micron XG Indoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna based on the transmission towers being 11 miles from my address. Reception has been disappointing. Some stations occasionally freeze in clear weather. When it is cloudy or snowing reception is worse, especially the NBC affiliate. Sometimes I get a message from WMC saying the signal is too weak to display. I took a chance on the indoor antenna even though my initial instinct was to put up an outdoor antenna last autumn. I’m guessing by the channel numbers I’m going to need a vhf/uhf antenna setup. The CBS and NBC affiliates station numbers are 13 and 11 respectively

Here’s the link to my TV signal analysis report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94ac15cb40de

I’m mostly interested in clear reception from the stations at 172 - 173 degrees. There is another channel at 68 degrees that would be nice to receive but not a necessity. I’m saving about 120.00 a month by switching to OTA tv. I’m all in favor of spending the extra money on an antenna setup to insure my reception is clear and as uninterrupted as possible. I’ll quickly get my money back by not paying for satellite/cable service. I’m not saying money is no object but most times you get what you pay for. I don’t think I will need a rotator. All local channel transmitters are located on the same mountain top. I’d like to get this right the first time, well second time. The indoor antenna isn’t working out very well.
As far as antenna location I can mount it on my back porch roof which is about 12 feet AGL. This will place the antenna facing the transmission towers however there are about 10 acres of trees about 100 feet behind the house. At this height the antenna won’t be above the trees. If I need more height I will have to hire someone to mount it on the main roof which is about 25 feet AGL. I’m getting to old to hoist it up there myself. The trees may still be an issue but the antenna will be close to the top of them.
Can I please get some recommendations for an antenna setup that will fulfill my needs and if mounting on the porch roof will be high enough? Thanks in advance for any advice.
billw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Trying for indoor reception was worth the effort... But I'd step up to an outdoor antenna. Consider an RCA ANT-751R pointed at the 172° - 173*° group of signals.

If your antenna is only connected to the tuner of your HTPC, then adding the weak signals from the NE is not that complicated... Consider adding a second antenna and tuner to the system. I'd use an Antennas Direct DB8E facing 67°... Terminate the antenna in a SiliconDust HDHR3-US tuner. Use a wired connection (CAT-5e) between the tuner and HTPC. If the cable run from the DB8E to the tuner is more than 20', add an RCA TVPRAMP1R at the antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
billw

Thanks for the quick reply and the advice. I was just looking at the RCA ANT-751R antenna on Amazon. It looks like I can bolt it to the side of the house. Will mounting it up by the eave of the house be a problem? That should put it about 10 - 15 feet below the tree tops. If I understand correctly I shouldn't need an amplifier for the RCA antenna, only if I try to pick up the ION station that's 30+ miles away with the DB8e. The cable run will be about 35 - 40 feet from antenna to tuner.
Old 20-Mar-2014, 2:00 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw View Post
Thanks for the quick reply and the advice. I was just looking at the RCA ANT-751R antenna on Amazon. It looks like I can bolt it to the side of the house. Will mounting it up by the eave of the house be a problem? That should put it about 10 - 15 feet below the tree tops. If I understand correctly I shouldn't need an amplifier for the RCA antenna, only if I try to pick up the ION station that's 30+ miles away with the DB8e. The cable run will be about 35 - 40 feet from antenna to tuner.
Sure, try the wall mount... But I would test reception before drilling any holes.

No amp on the ANT-751R, just the DB8E.

Old 21-May-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
billw

Just a quick follow up. I installed the antenna you recommended. It works great. I have had it installed temporarily on a piece of PVC pipe about 8 feet off the ground as a test. Even in thunderstorms I have a perfect picture on every station. This weekend I plan on getting it up permanently.

Thanks for your help

Bill Wilcox
Old 21-May-2014, 3:30 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Thanks for the progress report... Glad to hear you're having success.