TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Oct-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
johnnypraze

First timer needs advice. (No CBS)

I purchased an antenna from Radioshack (HBU33) over the weekend to see if I could pick anything up. I put the antenna in my 2nd story bedroom and picked up about 15 channels, but no CBS. (Naturally... I wanted to watch the football game)

Question is, will a better or different antenna help me? I planned on ordering online, but wanted to first make sure I picked up some channels before taking the plunge. I figure I can get a better antenna in the same $75-$100 price range online.

This will be going in my full attic for a more permanent installation. (I didn't want to go through the trouble of running the cable and not pick up any stations.)

Here is some of my info:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...______________

Last edited by johnnypraze; 31-Oct-2011 at 10:14 PM.
johnnypraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Nov-2011, 4:08 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

If we lived next door to each other you'd see a Winegard HD7698P or, an Antennas Direct XG91 and a Winegard YA-1713 on my roof.

There's not enough signal to work with in the attic.

I'd also be using an Antennas Direct CPA-18 preamp.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Nov-2011, 5:18 AM   #3
johnnypraze

When you say the attic is a bad place, are you referring to indoors in general, or the attic specifically? I would have guessed I would get better reception a story higher then the bedroom that the current antenna is in now.

I am only interested in the HD channels by the way. I'm getting everything I need, with the exception of CBS.

Thanks for the suggestion by the way.

Last edited by johnnypraze; 1-Nov-2011 at 5:23 AM.
Old 1-Nov-2011, 5:32 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

The signal levels shown on your report are fairly low. Low enough to make me think you will have trouble with reliable reception from the attic, especially once the roof is wet... the situation gets even worse with snow on the roof. Attics can work for some, generally when there are stronger signals to start with.

You're correct, higher mounting generally improves the strength and quality of the available signal. Building materials absorb and reflect signal. The best location for an antenna is one free of obstructions.

Your attic sounds like it's easy to get in and out of... if so, try the antenna there. If it works, great, it will last virtually forever in the attic. If you have trouble with reliable reception, you'll need to consider a better mounting location.

Does the 2nd story BDRM have a clear view to the NE?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 1-Nov-2011 at 1:38 PM.
Old 1-Nov-2011, 5:42 AM   #5
johnnypraze

It's fairly clear. A little of my neighbors house and some foliage. The attic has a window on the same wall as this bedroom both facing N. (Not sure if that helps)

Should I look into a preamp?
Old 1-Nov-2011, 1:43 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Reliable receptions starts with the antenna and it's location. I already suggested a preamp.

A preamp is not an antenna. The purpose of an amplifier is to overcome loss in cable and splitters than are connected to the amplifier output.