TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Oct-2010, 7:43 PM   #1
psbarger

Help selecting an antenna

Hey guys,

I am moving to an new area (Summerville SC) and trying to select a good antenna.

Here is my TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a36202d35a354c

I'd like to get good reception on the primary channels, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS. PBS would be nice too for kid programming.

I have experience with OTA setup that I did on my last house, but I had to leave my antenna there, so starting from scratch. Also this house is a rental house for 6 months, so I'd really prefer for a very easy install antenna, roof mounted monsters are out of the question. The preference would be something that requires no install at all (like we can just stuff behind the TV or against a wall), but just my own uninformed opinion makes it appear that something like that is unlikely.

Anyway, let me know if you have questions, and thanks in advance for any help!
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2010, 8:11 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

like we can just stuff behind the Tv. . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233

Last edited by John Candle; 18-Oct-2010 at 3:54 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2010, 8:51 PM   #3
psbarger

I said that's what I'd like.

I'm asking on here hoping to get ideas on what I need to get decent reception on those channels.

I'd love to hear suggestions. Thanks.
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 2:37 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Sadly, A Monster is Called For

I have a relatively similar signal path. Several UHF stations are reachable via 2 edge paths and 24 miles distant. To get acceptable reception I am using an Antennas Direct XG-91 antenna which is one of the largest UHF only antennas on the market. My antenna is currently in the attic, as a result I suffer occasional signal drop-outs when the roof is wet. (Welcome to Seattle)

To improve my situation I am in the process of moving this antenna to 9' above the roof peak were I will still have at least a 1 edge path but eliminate the building penetration loss. I would go higher if I didn't have a wife, neighbors and local building codes enforced by inspectors who go hungry if they don't write enough citations.

I am fairly confident that an indoor antenna, well placed and well aimed, will only offer reception of UHF 26 in your case. (It's close and on a line of sight path). Every other station listed on your report is obstructed or too far away.

Can you do a temporary, ground mounted, guyed tower to avoid touching the rented roof? If so, re-run you signal analysis for the exact location and antenna elevation - from that we can suggest an antenna, maybe one that is a bit less of a monster.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 2:27 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbarger View Post
I'd like to get good reception on the primary channels, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS. PBS would be nice too for kid programming.
I'd get the cheapest 7-69 antenna and mount it outdoors in a fashion that it can be removed for the six months that you're not there.

HBU-22 or HD 7694P
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I'd get the cheapest 7-69 antenna and mount it outdoors in a fashion that it can be removed for the six months that you're not there.

HBU-22 or HD 7694P

I'll second that!
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Reception

Looks like W26CF 26 is PBS and WLCN-CD 18 is CBS. . Might give the ChannelMaster CM 2016 a try , the mounting is at the back of the antenna , can be mounted on the side of the house. . Outdoor antennas can also be set up Indoors.

Last edited by John Candle; 18-Oct-2010 at 10:54 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote