TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Aug-2014, 5:19 PM   #1
Gerri

Ready to pitch TV and antenna

Hello,
I really need some help. Our house is about 13 miles from transmitter tower with all the stations we watch. We have tried several indoor antennas, with and without loop, rabbit ears, amplified & non-amplified. We are using an old one now that we used previously on our old analog TV. It doesn't matter what we use, we have to fiddle with the antenna every night, not so much during the day. Channel 13 has always come in good. Channel 2 has always been a problem. But, if we're on 49 and change the to 20, get up, fiddle with antenna, on 13 change to 11, fiddle with the antenna, on 8, go to 2 fiddle with the antenna. It doesn't matter what channel we change to, we have to move the antenna almost every time. It doesn't matter rain or shine, windy or calm. Some nights are worse than others and I just shut it off.
There are no tall buildings around, 1 tree in the front yard, older house so don't believe there is anything in the house that could be blocking our reception.
I am at my wits end. We're considering an outside antenna, but I hate to put my husband through all that work just to find out we have the same problem. Can someone please help me out? Thanks so much

My analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c66be5fa7321

Last edited by Gerri; 1-Aug-2014 at 5:22 PM. Reason: Forgot analysis
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2014, 5:55 PM   #2
teleview

+=>

The Tvfool radar report and channel list says , Only Resolved Approximately.

Please make and post a tvfool report and channel list that is the Exact address.

And make the antenna height in the report 25 feet above ground.

25 feet antenna height above ground is a reference antenna height that

provides a good evaluation of the Tv stations that are receivable.

If the the Exact address does not work to make the report then go the tvfool

Home Page and click on , >>Start MAPS<< , enter a zip code and move the

pointer to the Exact Location of reception.

Make the antenna height 25 feet above ground.

Make and post the tvfool report.

---------

Do not delete the first tvfool report that says Only Resolved Approximately.

---------

If the the new tvfool report shows about the same reception of

Tv stations/channels.

Then

-->Many<-- Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels will be received with a

antenna installed above the peak of the roof.
Old 1-Aug-2014, 7:31 PM   #3
tomfoolery

You have an enviable fool report. Loads of stations, strong signals, line of sight over flat ground, and virtually all coming from the same tower farm. All signals are high-VHF (channels 7-13) or UHF (channels 14-51). These are the (real) channels the signals are broadcast on, not the ones displayed on the TV screen (virtual channel numbers). Virtual channels are meaningless to the antenna.

I would think a small antenna like the HBU11 or ANT751r would be plenty. No amplifier needed. Also, the Clearstream C2-V, which has the high-VHF dipole, or the DB2e plus the optional dipole ad-on for high-VHF. You could try them indoors, which may be enough, but you're likely to get better results outdoors no matter what antenna you use.

I would try it outdoors, perhaps mounted to a wooden pole tied to a ladder (temporary), or even just sitting on a ladder, aimed around 133 degrees magnetic (use a real compass, unless you can see the towers), with a clean length of RG6 straight to the TV, through a window for testing purposes.

By any chance, being in the Houston area, is there stucco on the house?

Last edited by tomfoolery; 1-Aug-2014 at 7:34 PM.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
Gerri

Ready to pitch TV and antenna

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the input and quick reply. No, no stucco, just brick front and some kind of clapboard on the rest. Since the HBU11 is a RadioShack antenna, can they be purchased at Radio Shack? Nope. just looked
Yes, I know we have ideal conditions where we live, so can't figure out why we're having so much trouble. Is there any logical explanation for that?

What is the difference between Any 751 & Ant 751R? I can't seem to find the R model. I must be on the right wavelength (LOL) as I had a couple of those saved in my favorites list. Think I'll start with the HBU11, as that seems to be the most economical. I guess it's OK to order these online? Antennacraft carries the HBU11.
I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2014, 2:03 AM   #5
tomfoolery

The ANT751r is just the updated version, redesigned for channel 51 at the top instead of 69, since no UHF stations are over 51 now. Antennacraft is owned by Radio Shack, I believe, and you can buy from them or from places like Solid Signal.

I can only guess what the problem is, but multipath from the signals bouncing around the interior of the house, plumbing, wiring (plus electrical interference), could be any number of things, but putting it in the air, clear of obstructions and structure next to and behind it is almost always better than indoors.

My son lives in the SW area of Houston, and he gets a jillion stations with a cheap indoor loop and rabbit ears, unpowered, and just sitting on a table next to the TV (next to the tv isn't all that great a place to put an antenna, either). So I'm surprised you're having that much trouble.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2014, 2:18 AM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Is there any logical explanation for that?
Yes. The tree in the front yard and the brick exterior (often has a wire screen behind it) are the two most logical suspects.

Rule #1 is that the antenna ALWAYS has to be placed in a location where the signals can get to it.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote