TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Aug-2011, 4:04 PM   #1
HMoore

Newbie needs help

I need help deciphering my location's signal analysis report linked below. We are in a rural area in the Blue Ridge Mountains and would like to break away from Dish and go with free OTA broadcasts if possible. There are lots of hills and trees around, but we are on somewhat high ground.

I think the results from the report suggest a roof mounted antenna could work, but other searches have suggested only 2 or 3 stations would be reachable from my location. So I'm basically looking for verification.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e74f6ae28754b

Any help is appreciated.
HMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

How many Tv's will be connected?? Good news. The reception situation is a little better then you are thinking. How many Tv's will be connected??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
HMoore

There will be 2 TVs connected. Tell me more re: your thoughts on reception. Do you think I could get away w/ an attic antenna? When I entered info to the signal analysis, I put 30 feet elevation. Attic would be more like 20.
Old 24-Aug-2011, 1:20 PM   #4
No static at all

An attic antenna will get you PBS. Mounting it on the roof will add ABC.

Unfortunately, everything else looks pretty bleek to me given the local terrain, even with the best antenna.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2011, 4:22 PM   #5
John Candle

The antenna/antennas are going above the roof in such a way that the antenna/antennas have the clearest possible view of the Tv stations transmitters. If you will like to receive digital broadcast Tv you will not think up any more situations that will prevent you from receiving Tv stations. I will be back with recommendations for , antennas , amplifiers , etc.
Old 24-Aug-2011, 6:48 PM   #6
Dave Loudin

I agree with @No static at all. There will be no practical way to receive anything from WBRA and weaker.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
John Candle

No Static at all and Dave Loudin are saying , give up , don't even try. I say give it a try. I think my recommendation will receive the channels down to WXFR. Here are the stations I think will be received , WVPT PBS , W41DT has digital channels , NBC , Weather and CW+ , WSET has digital channels ABC and RTV , WDBJ has digital channels CBS and My Network , WXRF has digital channels FOX and The CW. . I recommend 2 Channel Master CM4228HD antennas , one aimed at 14 degree magnetic compass and the other aimed at 223 degree magnetic compass. Two Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamps will be connected , one is connected to one antenna and the other is connected to the other antenna. The coaxes from the antennas/preamps/power supplies will be kept separate. A 2 way splitter will be put on each coax on the ( Tv side ) of the power supplies. The outputs of the splitters will have coaxes that go to Remote control A/B antenna switches , Model number AB27RS or radio shack 15-1968 , at the 2 Tv locations. And the outputs of the A/B switches go to the Tv's.

Last edited by John Candle; 24-Aug-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 25-Aug-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
HMoore

Thanks to each of you for your input. John, I appreciate your optimism (and the specific equipment recommendations!), and also realize the area I'm in may be rolling the dice on reception.

JOHN: with the scenario you suggest, we are talking roof mount still, correct? Also, I'm assuming 2 converter boxes at each TV, yes?
Old 25-Aug-2011, 4:33 PM   #9
John Candle

Why 2 converter boxes for each Tv?? And Yes the antennas are roof mount.
Old 25-Aug-2011, 6:09 PM   #10
HMoore

Typo - 2 converters total. 1 per TV.