Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jan-2015, 1:41 AM   #1
mlex554

request for antenna help

Looking for antenna advice.
Here is the analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15bd2463d988

Primarily interested in the cluster of transmitters at 346 degrees.

I was hopeful that I could use a multi directional indoor flat antenna, but if I am reading the analysis correctly I'll need at least a medium size antenna; maybe in the attic? Attic mount would be roughly 25 feet above ground.

I remember my old chimney mount rotor in the '80s, but I really don't want to have to do that again.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
mlex554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2015, 1:51 PM   #2
Jake V

You can try an antenna in the attic but under the best conditions you will loose half the signal. Since you have signals roughly to the north and to the west I recommend a DB-8e with one panel aimed north and the other west (use a compass to aim to 0 degrees and 250 degrees and then adjust bit by bit until you get what you want). Add an Antenacraft CS-600 for VHF, probably aimed at 254 if you want to try WJLP (but it's a long shot). If not, aim it north-ish to about 14 degrees (and maybe use a Y5713). You might get real channels 10 and 9. And occasionally 11 (but that's pushing it).

A better solution is to re-do the chimney mount outside. You can use the DB-8e and either the CS-600 or Y5713 as above and would not need a rotor. If you put it outside and the antenna had a good view in all directions, I would consider carefully removing the reflector, and aiming one panel north and the other west. That might pick up the channels from the SSW and NE. [Of course, if the old antenna, rotor, and cables are still there replace them.] It's your best option for the most channels.

Last edited by Jake V; 22-Jan-2015 at 2:06 PM.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2015, 2:29 AM   #3
mlex554

Thank you

Jake V
Thank you for the consideration and recommendations. I truly appreciate your help.

I didn't realize I could angle the panels of the DB-8e independently! Great advice!
I'll start with the DB-8e in the attic. I can always move it out to the chimney if I need to improve my reception.

Looking forward to cutting the cable.
Thanks again.
mlex554 is offline   Reply With Quote