TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jul-2011, 5:58 AM   #41
GroundUrMast

After re-reading this thread from the top, I'm leaning heavily in favor of a new antenna. The Winegard HD7694P or it's larger variants come to mind. Not because you need the gain but as ADTech says,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
While the towers are in the same relative location, the signal doesn't always behave the way we want it to. You are likely experiencing what I call "frequency-specific multi-path". That usually means that you are getting an errant reflection off something on or near your line of sight that is interfering with the "primary" signal in a destructive nature.

The solution is to either try a more directional antenna (hoping to reject the reflection) or to move the antenna to a different location (up, down, left right) and try again, hoping that the new location is not bedeviled by the original reflection or a new one.
I'd like to see you get more than ten years of service from an antenna but clearly the coax in the weather needed to be replaced and the existing antenna has some damage.

I know this is redundant, but... Don't use any sort of amplifier.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2011, 12:41 PM   #42
No static at all

I agree with the Winegard 7694 suggestion. It's quite the powerhouse when it comes to multipath reduction & has excellent gain.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2011, 3:39 PM   #43
jc5000

The antenna is just about the only thing I have not replaced or removed in this system. If you think it will help, I am up for making a change.

GUM made the comment about the Winegard HD7694P or it's larger variants. Is this a case where bigger is always better? I don't really have any size restrictions beyond what will safely hang on the mast. What are the larger options? I looked up the Winegard HD7694P and from the picture it looks pretty much like what I have now.
jc5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jul-2011, 2:22 AM   #44
jc5000

What about the Winegard 7695P, 7696P or 7697P? Are these pretty much the same but in larger sizes? Is the bigger antenna better?
Old 25-Jul-2011, 3:20 PM   #45
GroundUrMast

The 7694 should be more than sufficient. The larger variations of the design would offer more gain (that you don't need) and slightly more rejection of multi-path (if it arrives from the side). Go with the 7694...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Aug-2011, 12:42 AM   #46
jc5000

I have installed a Winegard HD 7695P (it is about the same size as my old antenna) as a replacement antenna. I even installed a grounding rod for it. Anyway, it seems to have improved reception all around. No more pixelation on any of the stations so far.

It is interesting that the built-in signal meters on the TVs really don't show any drastic improvement in strength even though the reception is noticeably improved. GUM or JCandle indicated earlier in the thread that the meters are not really calibrated to anything; so, the absolute values don't have a lot of meaning. Perhaps there was also something else at play here besides signal strength. In any case, I am satisfied with the result. Thanks for the many recommendations.