TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Oct-2010, 9:19 PM   #1
fishbone

Help in Blane, WA

I'm looking into improving the reception at a vacation home.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cef34759126e68

Currently able to receive KVOS, but would like to get CBC and CTV. Two sets are connected via a 2.3GHz 2-way splitter. I have added a channel master 7777 to help improve analog reception (this has worked well) but the digital remains with just one channel. The current antenna is an older Channel Master, but I do not know the model. Pic is attached and can hopefully be identified. I'm wondering if it is VHF only, or at least not a good model for UHF. Could adding a CM4228 be the right move?

thanks for any advice/info.
-k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0713.jpg (127.5 KB, 523 views)
fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2010, 9:39 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You are the proud owner of a Channel Master Quantum 1111: one of the best VHF-only antennas ever made. It, and it's bigger brother, the Quantum 1110, were my very favorite VHF antennas EVER, and was angry when Channel Master discontinued the Quantum series for the cheaper, and less effective Crossfire series.

Unfortunately for you, the Quantum 1111 is not a UHF antenna, and all of the Vancouver digital stations are on UHF. I would suggest that you keep the Quantum 1111, and add an AntennasDirect XG-91 UHF antenna on a 4' mast above the VHF antenna, and connect the two antennas to the CM Titan 7777 preamplifier. The Titan 7777 makes this pretty easy, because it has separate VHF and UHF inputs on it. You will, however, need to open the Titan 7777's case, change the input control switch to SEPARATE, and then connect the two antennas according to their correct inputs. Once that's done, you'll see the Vancouver digital stations without a problem at all...

You mentioned the Channel Master 4228, and it will work, but presents quite a face to the wind, and the AntennasDirect is really a better antenna since Channel Master redesigned the 4228. The AntennasDirect XG-91 also ships a LOT more easily than does the 4228.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Oct-2010, 1:41 AM   #3
fishbone

Thanks! Good to finally know what I'm working with, and worth knowing that I should definitely keep it. Good tip to mount the UHF above as I should see some decent gains with a few more feet above ground.
fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote