TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jun-2015, 3:26 PM   #1
schild

Something possible here?

Hello all! I am new to this forum, and I need some help.
The signal looks marginal at this location, but is there anything that can be done here?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f092e9c87348

Any help is greatly appreciated!
schild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jun-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Billiam

Do you want to receive Ch. 5? Since all of the viewable signals are at the same compass reading it makes it easy to buy a single antenna and point it in that direction. Only buy a rotor if you plan to DX signals. Otherwise a fixed antenna will work.

You will probably want a pre amp as well. After choosing the antenna picking the right pre amp should be simple.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jun-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

How far are you from the peak of the hill (in the direction of Portland) and what is the difference in elevation between your oroposed antenna location and the crest of the hill, including any trees?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jun-2015, 6:18 PM   #4
schild

We are probably about 300 yards from the top of the hill.
From there, we should have a straight shot to Portland with great reception.
Is it possible to run a coax for that distance?
Old 8-Jun-2015, 4:56 AM   #5
schild

Thanks everybody for the responses!
If I would install something on the roof, what kind of equipment would I need to be able to receive channels 5,8,10,12,22? And what kind of pre-amp?

Again, thanks a lot for the help!
Old 8-Jun-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Billiam

Probably the Winegard 8200 all channel TV antenna. Pre Amp I'd look at is a Kitztech KT-200 or maybe the KT-500. You should receive everything down to Ch. 22 perhaps Ch. 30 with this setup.

Do you want to use a Tripod mount or a Chimney mount on the roof?
Old 8-Jun-2015, 3:02 PM   #7
ADTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by schild View Post
We are probably about 300 yards from the top of the hill.
From there, we should have a straight shot to Portland with great reception.
Is it possible to run a coax for that distance?
If you're right on the back side of the hill 300 yards from the summit, there's unlikely to be much, if any useful signal on your rooftop. The simulator is flat out wrong. Been there, done that too many times, learned the hard way. If you'd be looking into trees from your rooftop, it only gets more dismal.

Yes, a coax may be run that far, cable companies do it everyday. However, they have the advantage of having stable, consistent signal levels in their system, very well chosen amplifiers and transmission lines, and engineers who specify how to put the whole thing together to maintain quality of service.

It's a bit harder when you don't have all that at your disposal.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 8-Jun-2015, 3:10 PM   #8
schild

Thanks Billiam!
I have not thought about a mounting solution at this point.

So something like the sky 60 antenna with a pre-amp would not do the trick?
http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Amplified.../dp/B00AVWKUXE
Old 8-Jun-2015, 3:12 PM   #9
schild

ADTech, thanks to you as well!
Are there companies out there that would install such a system 300 yards away, and maybe connect 2-3 houses?
If we were to do it ourselves, where would we start? Would the antenna itself need power, and would amps be needed somewhere on the 300 yard coax run?
Old 8-Jun-2015, 4:01 PM   #10
ADTech

Quote:
So something like the sky 60 antenna with a pre-amp would not do the trick?
Goodness no, I would be embarrassed to call that thing a long range antenna. There isn't much to it beyond the hype.

Use the interactive maps feature to place a marker on top of the hill that you have access to and generate a new plot. That will provide an estimate of what signals might be available up there. I will operate under the assumption that you will be able to provide a clear signal path back towards Portland.

Quote:
If we were to do it ourselves, where would we start?
Obtaining the use of the spot on top the hill should it belong to someone else. Clearing trees, if needed, to allow the signal to get to the antenna.

Quote:
Would the antenna itself need power, and would amps be needed somewhere on the 300 yard coax run?
Yes, you'd need amplification. You'd have to balance the cost of ultra-low loss transmission line (3/4" coax hardline, for example, as the extreme) with possible successive stages of amplification needed for transmission lines with higher losses. You'd also need to provide for operating power for the amp(s) which could be its own set of issues since the simple versions typically used with consumer preamps wouldn't work that far away. Add in some tilt compensation due to higher line loss at higher frequencies.

Quote:
Are there companies out there that would install such a system 300 yards away
You'd likely find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow first. You'd probably need it to pay for the system.

Old 9-Jun-2015, 5:50 AM   #11
schild

Thanks ADTech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You'd likely find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow first. You'd probably need it to pay for the system.
I am reading this as not being worth it.
Old 9-Jun-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
ADTech

If you could find a company that could do it, you'd find it cost prohibitive anyway, so there are two strikes against your going that route.

You could likely do it yourself, but it would require a good amount of work as well as some experimentation and creativity. It wouldn't be inexpensive as it might take the equivalent of a year's worth of satellite service fees, perhaps, to break even.

The basic system would be a large, all-channel antenna mounted on top the hill with a good, clear view back towards Portland; a 1000' spool of RG11 plus tool & connectors; at least one, possibly 2 amps; and a provision for power for the amp(s).

Starters

All channel antenna - $150-200
Mount or mast - varies, might have what you need in your garage or local home center.
1000' Direct Burial RG11 - $400-450
CM7777 amp (for example) - About $75 each
Perhaps a solar powered, battery backup power supply for the amp(s) - ???

All this assumes you have access to a hilltop where there's a good quality signal available.

Last edited by ADTech; 9-Jun-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 9-Jun-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
Billiam

schild. Do you own that property on the top of that hill you've mentioned? If so, you could install a guyed mast and put an antenna on top of that. Use a pre amp and RG 11 cable to minimize line loss and you might get what you need, reception wise.
Old 10-Jun-2015, 6:40 PM   #14
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

I'm reminded of other people with a similar problem.

rg6 long run amplifier
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...amplifier.html

Offsite Antenna Installation
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14907

Last edited by rabbit73; 10-Jun-2015 at 7:06 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote