TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Oct-2015, 7:06 PM   #1
twaw

Which antenna/setup for ridges, trees and other challenges?

Hi, I’ve learned a lot form this forum, you guys are awesome! My main question is, what’s the best approach for my situation… will this work, and do I really need Low VHF? I’m looking at the Winegard HD7694P or Channelmaster CM3016 “Advantage 45”, and the Channelmaster 7777 preamp, or the Winegard XT-200. I guess the XT200 is pretty crappy...? But I’d really welcome any other antenna, preamp, or other suggestions.

Here’s a link to my report, the signal strength for my 5 stations (below) seems decent. And sorry for the long post, I just want to give you all the info:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e039f0febf911

The stations I really want are WRGB Real Ch 6, WNYT Real 12, WTEN Real 26, and WMHT Real 34… all at 184 degrees. WXXA would be a bonus. There’s a small ridge in the LOS, maybe 100-150’ higher than me, about 1 mile away.
I’m trying to use the smallest antenna I can and still get my 4-5 stations, which is why I’m looking at the Winegard. Of course I’m going to get the antenna and preamp and try various antenna locations, and with/without preamp. But which antenna and preamp to get?

I saw a recent psot from Towerguy saying WRGB is available UHF on WCWN 45-3 at 720p, and I’m fine with 720… but I don’t see that sub-channel on the report. So does that mean it’s at 184 degrees like the others I want, and I’ll get the all of WRGB’s programming on that channel? So if that’s true I guess I don’t really need an antenna with low VHF, and a large directional is what I want?

If mounted alongside the house I can go 30’ high (roof peak is 20’, chimney is another 5’ but I don’t want to go the chimney route).

But I think this is my biggest problem… to mount the antenna in the “best” location anywhere alongside my house, all of the 5 stations I want are blocked by a giant 80-100’ Elm tree with about 8 thick branch trunks (12”-16”+). This tree is dead smack in the middle of my LOS, and the closest large branch is only 20’ away. Most of the leaves are a little higher than the 30’ level the antenna would be, but there are millions of them. There’s no other location along the house that would work, the next best is blocked by a nearby 80’+ pine forest, about 25’ away.

So I plan to try it near that elm, but if that’s not decent I may have to build a tilt-up mast in the backyard or nearby field (or if 20’ works maybe a telescoping mast)… but I really want to avoid this if at all possible. Doing that, the nearest LOS blockage is only the ridge, so I’ve eliminated the tree blockage almost completely. But it’s expensive, a bit of a hassle, and given the occasional 60mph wind, anything over 20’ would need guys, I think… a PITA to adjust or service. Not to mention it will add 100’ of coax for about -6db loss, plus I’d probably use #6 for the ground run (I have to research this more if I go this route, maybe #4), and that means a total of about 140’ to the mains ground rod. I’ve had a lightning strike on the house before, and it fried a lot of my expensive electronics (except the TV, go figure), so I don’t want to repeat that! So if I go this route, should I also get a lightning arrestor?

Any suggestions? I really appreciate it!
twaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
The stations I really want are WRGB Real Ch 6, WNYT Real 12, WTEN Real 26, and WMHT Real 34… all at 184 degrees.
That list makes the all-channel antenna mandatory unless you can actually pick up WCWN reliably. The VHF 6 channel will be far more reliable when on the back side of a hill in the forest, FWIW.

Quote:
but I don’t see that sub-channel on the report.
No sub-channels are included in the TVFool database, only the primary (.1). Visit http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php and scroll down to market #45. That listing will cover what's in your area in great detail.

Quote:
all of the 5 stations I want are blocked by a giant 80-100’ Elm tree with about 8 thick branch trunks (12”-16”+).
Make firewood or accept whatever happens. Yep, I'm that cynical. I loose several stations every summer. I've hit MY limit on what can be done and there's nothing more to do. If you're on the back side of a hill and the signal has to go through trees to get to you, do NOT expect (but do be thankful for) perfect reception. It is simply impossible to predict what will happen.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Oct-2015, 1:49 PM   #3
twaw

Thanks for the info, sounds like I may be building that tilt-up after all, but I'll try the house first. So would you suggest the Winegard HD7084P? Any suggestions on preamp? Thanks!
Old 25-Oct-2015, 2:00 PM   #4
twaw

Also, any idea what the difference is in the "P" model vs. the non-P? Amazon has the HD7084 for about $20 cheaper than the P version. Thanks
Old 25-Oct-2015, 5:44 PM   #5
Tower Guy

I'm not aware of a Winegard antenna without the P SUFFIX. I agree that the HD7084P is the best antenna for you.

If you opted for a channel 7-69 antenna you would get CBS on 45-3, but you'd miss This TV on 6-2 and a new Sci-Fi channel due soon on 6-3.

http://sbgi.net/wp-content/uploads/2...ease-FINAL.pdf
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Oct-2015, 7:59 PM   #6
twaw

OK, thanks. On Winegard's site they only show the 7084P, in fact most of their antenna's now have a P designation. I've searched and can't seem to find any info on what the P is, but it's $20 more. Maybe it stands for "pricier".

BTW Towerguy, I used to do a lot of my editing and production work at WRGB back in the 80's and 90's, knew a lot of the folks there, some who were there since the GE days... good people. Boy, how the industry has changed.

OK, cool, really appreciate the help!