TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jan-2012, 4:35 AM   #1
rbanke

New to OTA, Trying to figure out where to start.

Hello, I am going to be canceling my cable soon and have zero experience with OTA TV so I am trying to get pointed in the right direction. I have done some reading but am still not too sure of what equipment I need to see the channels I want.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...67d9ec3315901b

Looking at this report, I am most concerned with NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, & PBS. Anything else would be a pleasant addition.

My house info:
  • single story, rear of the house faces north.
  • woods behind my house starting at my northern property line.
  • neighbor to the west is a 2 story house, but is a shorter house and the back of his house does not block the western view from the back of my house (hopefully that makes sense)
  • currently wired for cable, but the cable enters the house on the east wall and I'd like the antenna at the rear of the house.
  • 3-4 TV's, all LCD HD Samsung's

I looked around and hdtvantennalabs suggested a Winegard HD7696P. I'm not sure of what other equipment I would need (amplifiers, pole to put the antenna, etc), or if there is a better antenna suited for me. Any help getting me started would be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Rich
rbanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2012, 5:46 AM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

A large , Very Large group of tv stations are to the west. You will receive all of the channels you will like to receive and more Alot More. A simple NON Amplified indoor antenna such as a Channel Master CM4010 or Terk HDTVi at each tv location , aimed at 292 degree magnetic compass will receive way to many channels. Here is how to aim indoor antennas http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. The tv must be set to scan for the Broadcast Digital Tv Channels , sometimes called the "Air" channels because the tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna. If the building is wood with wood or plastic siding then that is the best for indoor tv antenna reception. Other types of construction , metal , stucko Wire , concrete walls , brick or rock walls , metal roof , solar panels , metal backed insulation , will reduce or block reception.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2012, 6:03 AM   #3
rbanke

Thanks for the quick reply!

My house is poured concrete walls actually, so that might be a problem. Also, I think my wife might be against having antenna's at each TV if they are in plain site. I don't mind putting one on the outside and running some coax if needed. If I wanted to go with the outdoor antenna, would 1 antenna service that many TV's?
Old 21-Jan-2012, 6:24 AM   #4
Electron

Ok a simple ANT751 antenna mounted above the roof will get so many channels you will blink your eyes in disbelief. Here are some outside antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html . It is Ok to run coax from the antenna to where the connection is on the east side of the house.

Last edited by Electron; 22-Jan-2012 at 5:19 AM.
Old 21-Jan-2012, 6:49 AM   #5
rbanke

I appreciate the advice. This looks like plenty of info to get me on my way.

Thanks!
Old 21-Jan-2012, 7:11 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

The recommendation of the larger Winegard HD7696P or even the slightly larger HD7698P is not overkill IMO. Especially if you would like to see one or more of the low powered signals. The larger antenna would provide greater fade margin. A larger antenna is also indicated, given the potential for some foliage attenuation due to nearby trees.

Having said that, the RCA ANT-751 will certainly be capable, and is a good suggestion if you are only interested in the major network specified in your first post.

Here's an example of potentially interesting programing, WSWF is an America One affiliate. http://www.americaone.com/

http://www.rabbitears.info/

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2012, 5:18 AM   #7
Electron

Gum is correct , use the HD7696P antenna or HD7698P antenna. The ANT751 is to small.
Old 22-Jan-2012, 2:24 PM   #8
rbanke

Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered the ANT751 and will see how that goes. I'd prefer the smaller size if it is somewhat capable. If I feel I need more, I'll get one of the bigger ones later on.

Thanks
Old 22-Jan-2012, 5:48 PM   #9
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Ok a simple ANT751 antenna mounted above the roof will get so many channels you will blink your eyes in disbelief.
Quote:
. . . use the HD7696P antenna or HD7698P antenna. The ANT751 is to small.
Hmmm, the ANT-751 has gone from more than enough to too small in just one day?????? Did they just redesign it??????

All kidding aside, the ANT-751 should work well for you needs.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
elmo

I like that little ANT751. I had one for a while and was pretty impressed. Being that I needed a little help on some, I sent it to Mom's house and it's been a stellar performer, in her attic of all places. I did that as a test and expected to put a ladder on the roof, but no need. Anyway, I ended up going w/the same Winegard HD7696P as these guys are recommending for you.

One antenna can definitely do the job for all. But start out with just one TV. That way you have less factors to contend with all at once. Then you can see about roping in all the rest w/the necessary hardware. Maybe try just a single direct connection as well, just as a test, bring it in though an open window. If that works, then you can possibly tap into the existing coax running through the house. But that's for later.

I am a cord cutter myself, for a couple of years now. Was hard to make that first step. Wife wasn't sure she was on board. But she's pretty happy with it now. And when you aren't dropping $75/mth on cable TV, it's pretty easy to invest a bit here an there for some good OTA hardware! Good luck.

Last edited by elmo; 25-Jan-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: tv
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Feb-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
rbanke

Today I installed the antenna (went with the ANT751) and it's working great. I am able to receive all the stations I wanted, in addition to others. Cable has been canceled. And I have you guys to thank for helping me out.

Thanks,
-Rich
Old 3-Feb-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
Electron

Is WSWF , America One being received??
Old 4-Feb-2012, 1:09 AM   #13
rbanke

Quote:
Is WSWF , America One being received??
On the list of channels near me, it says WSWF is 45. When I go to 45, I get 'Good Life 45' which says WTGLDT1. I'm also not seeing it in the channel list on the TV.

I did not have a compass when setting up the antenna so I used the compass app on my iPhone which is not very precise. I have it point at the suggested magnetic north 292 (thereabouts). Should I get a compass and align the antenna better?
Old 4-Feb-2012, 3:42 AM   #14
elmo

If your TV has a signal strength indicator, you may be able to use that to dial in a little better. Let you iPhone get you in the general direction. Then call your wife who's inside watching the signal and she yells, 'Getting hot! No, no, go back, colder!" Some TV's aren't as good, others have some nice bar charts & meters to help you fine tune it. But as long as the signal isn't dropping out, you're good. Of course, weather, leaves, etc can bring that about sooner if you aren't setup optimal.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2012, 4:35 AM   #15
Electron

The compass heading along with the pictures of the antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html , is get the antenna in the aimed at the direction it needs to be aimed. Then the antenna is turned to the left and right to get the best signal.