TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Feb-2012, 9:38 PM   #1
wedmiston

Seeking assistance in equipment selection and placement

New to this but here is the link to my radar results:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b865743b2d02b

I would greatly appreciate any and all help in choosing an antenna, placement, if I need ancillary equip (amplifier), and anything else you can think of.

I estimated a mount height of 22 ft. based on roof peak.

Lastly, previous owner had a DISH that is still active (we move there in 2 weeks). What can/should I do with this since I have no intention of using it - plan to stream all non OTA content from internet.

Last edited by wedmiston; 29-Feb-2012 at 9:55 PM.
wedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2012, 3:03 AM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

How many Tv's are/will be connected??
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2012, 3:15 AM   #3
wedmiston

Three, maybe a fourth at some point but way down the road
Old 1-Mar-2012, 5:08 AM   #4
Electron

Many , as in Many digital Tv stations/channels are receivable at your location. Install a ANT751 antenna aimed at about 185 degree magnetic compass. Use a simple common 3 way splitter. The coax that is in place to distribute the small dish signals to the locations of the house can be connected to the antenna. Remove all dish hardware and connections. So that just the coaxes with the connectors on the ends of the coaxes are there to connect to the 3 way splitter. You can find the ANT751 and splitter and etc. at Home Depot or Lowes. No you do not need fancy gold plated super high priced wiz bang splitters and hardware. Yes you can use the dish mount. However the dish mount needs to be mounted at a high place of the roof. If the mount is a J mount , most are , the mount can be attached to a eave at the edge of the roof , however it must be up high. It is best to mount the antenna in a manner that the antenna has a good view in all directions. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
Old 1-Mar-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
wedmiston

Thank for the great information Electron! Very much appreciate your time and expertise. I'd like to follow up with a few other questions:

1. Would there be any benefit to adding any type of signal boosting (amp) device?
2. I began by looking at the Channel Master 8 bay or the Clearstream 4, but this was based on nothing more than googling around. would these be overkill in my situation? I like the idea of spending less if I don't need more...
Old 1-Mar-2012, 2:45 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

An amplifier is both unnecessary and is likely to cause new problems. Forgo it.

Stick with the suggestion of a lower gain, less directional 7-69 antenna.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2012, 2:55 PM   #7
wedmiston

Great! Thanks to you both. Now for the dumb question - is 185 degrees as simple as pointing it 185 degrees from magnetic north or do i need to do any additional calibrations from my compass?
Old 1-Mar-2012, 3:18 PM   #8
Electron

Yes aiming the antenna is as simple as 185 degree from north. Zero is north , 90 is east , 180 is south , 270 is west and 0 is north. The pictures of the antennas is to show the front of the antenna and the compass direction aim point. The aim point Is Not Critical , it is to get you aim the antenna the direction the antenna needs to be aimed.

Last edited by Electron; 1-Mar-2012 at 5:38 PM.
Old 1-Mar-2012, 5:17 PM   #9
wedmiston

and should it be outside or is inside attic OK? Ranch home so height difference would amount to maybe 5-6 feet...
Old 1-Mar-2012, 5:35 PM   #10
Electron

Is it possible to mount to eave on the outside of the roof and have the antenna on the inside of the attic at the same time?? Here is a picture of the eave of roof. http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html . Here is a picture of a J mount , http://www.htmart.com/product.php?productid=772 . Mount the antenna up high , means mount the antenna Up High. Having a good clear view in all directions , means try to get the antenna at a location that has a good clear view in all directions.

Last edited by Electron; 1-Mar-2012 at 6:11 PM.
Old 1-Mar-2012, 6:11 PM   #11
wedmiston

forgive my ignorance...if the map that is generated shows stations scattered in all directions based on where I live, how do you determine 185 degrees as the optimal direction?
Old 1-Mar-2012, 6:57 PM   #12
Dave Loudin

You've got major groups of stations at about 140 degrees and about 224 degrees. We're recommending aiming the antenna between these two headings in order to catch both at the same time. The antenna's pattern is broad enough to do this.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2012, 8:54 PM   #13
wedmiston

That confirms what I was guessing Dave, thanks. Would it be beneficial to mount this with a rotator so it can pick up the other stations that don't fall in that 140 to 224 degree range? Would any of the more elaborate antennas be worth considering to extend the capture distance?

The other option I saw in a photo (for this specific antenna) was to use two pointed in opposite directions...good idea?

Last edited by wedmiston; 1-Mar-2012 at 9:02 PM.
Old 1-Mar-2012, 9:11 PM   #14
Electron

The ANT751 receives good in all directions and receives better at the front of the antenna. Most of the tv transmissions are strong at your location in all directions and the ANT751 will receive them. I am doing my best to get you as many Tv stations/channels as possible With Out adding complications. Put the antenna up and scan for channels , Many , as in MANY Channels will be received.
Old 1-Mar-2012, 9:19 PM   #15
wedmiston

That's good enough for me! Thanks to those who responded. You are a big help to those of us less knowledgeable.
Old 6-Mar-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
NorthCLT

coulnd't you use a rotator with the ANT751 to maximize your reception?
NorthCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2012, 7:15 PM   #17
Dave Loudin

With the broad range of angles that the ANT-751 is sensitive to, a rotator should not be needed. One could be added later, if needed.
Old 7-Mar-2012, 8:12 PM   #18
NorthCLT

Dave - Would there be any benefit to mounting TWO 751's directly at the two main source directions id cost isn't big deal or would the net benefit not be that much greater than one pointed in between?
NorthCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
Electron

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=7186
Old 7-Mar-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
Dave Loudin

@NorthCLT, the 751's beam is so wide that this will not work. Both antennas would see both groups of stations, so the signals from antenna 1 would interfere with the signals from antenna 2 when they are combined. You would end up with less, not more reception.