TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jan-2014, 7:14 PM   #1
hblock

Trying to get set-up by Superbowl time

Here's my situation:

Pulled the plug on DirectTV about 4 months ago and switched to online streaming of Hulu and Netflix. Did this on a trial basis just to make sure we could live without it. So far, so good, so now I'd like to add an HDTV antenna to receive OTA broadcasts. Here's my map.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94ec25fdbdbc

My plan is to remove the DirectTV dish and install the antenna on the mast left behind, which is at the lower edge of my roof two stories up (~25ft up). Ideally, I'd like to get the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). PBS and CW should be available and would also be nice to have. Looking at the radar map, if I could just get all the LOS stations listed, sans the 215 deg one, I'd have everything I'd want. This means I need to get the 6 stations available at 62-63 deg and the 2 stations at 359 deg. I really want to avoid a rotor if at all possible and was looking at a Winegard MS-2002 as a possible solution, but just not sure it'll cut it. So I'm looking for some advice on what hardware would work for me. Thanks for any suggestions.
hblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 2:07 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

There are several ways to approach this one...

I'd use an Antennas Direct DB8e, starting with the panels set to 30 degrees off broadside. https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...s/DB8E-TDS.pdf Use a starting aim point for the broadside facing about 45° per a compass.

This gives you the benefit of a directional antennas ability to reduce the chance of multipath problems, something that can't be done with an omnidirectional antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
hblock

Thanks for the response. That does look like a good solution. I didn't realize until now there were antennas with independently adjustable panels. Guess I learned something new. I also go a recommendation form an online retailer for this antenna

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb8x

Anyone have any thoughts on how this one compares to the DB8e. I'm inclined to just go with the DB8e after all the praise it seems to get. There is a pretty big price difference between the two though. Thanks again.
Old 23-Jan-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I'd suggest a reflector-less DB8e mounted in a location that allows you reception of both the Greensboro and Charlotte stations provided there is decent line of sight in all those varied directions. WTVI, the lone VHF channel in the whole area, will likely require special attention.

The antenna would be installed so that the panels, as viewed from overhead, are facing northeast and southwest.

Removal of the reflector panels requires drilling out rivets, so take appropriate safety measures.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
----
The reflectors , are not , the Bowtie shaped reception elements.
Old 24-Jan-2014, 1:33 PM   #6
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
I'd suggest a reflector-less DB8e mounted in a location that allows you reception of both the Greensboro and Charlotte stations provided there is decent line of sight in all those varied directions. WTVI, the lone VHF channel in the whole area, will likely require special attention.

The antenna would be installed so that the panels, as viewed from overhead, are facing northeast and southwest. <snip>
I've been wondering about this lately, after reading several threads where folks have clumps of UHF stations grouped at 180 deg. to each other. Is it better to orient a DB8e (or other similar 2-part panel antennas) with both panels in line but no reflector, or rotate them to face away from each other and leave the reflectors in place?

From your recommendation of removing the reflectors, it would seem the former is better, but I'm just curious as to how much better over simply rotating them to face away from each other, since removing the reflectors is essentially a one-way trip if you don't have the tools or ability to reattach them.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2014, 3:49 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

If the reflectors are not removed and the panels are 180° opposite, then there will be a combiner loss (up to 6 dB) plus uneven combining of undesired signals off the back of the half facing away from the source.

With the reflectors removed, the combiner loss is eliminated and there are lesser concerns about phase cancellation issues (assuming even illumination of all elements by the incoming signals). The downside is a loss of around 3 dB forward gain due to no reflector plus the increased possibility of multipath from signals reflected from behind the antenna.

I'd give a slight edge to "reflector-less" in this application.

Quote:
since removing the reflectors is essentially a one-way trip if you don't have the tools or ability to reattach them.
If you have the tools to remove them, you certainly should be able to reattach them. Reflectors are easily reattached with standard #10 screws and nuts from your local hardware store.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Feb-2014, 3:34 PM   #8
hblock

Thanks for all the help

Just wanted to post a follow up and thank everyone for the help: I ended up purchasing an Antennas Direct DB8e. I had originally planned on mounting the antenna on the J pole where the dish receiver was. Since the DB8e was quite a bit larger than I had originally planned(cringe on wife's face), I decided to try an attic mount first. Luckily the direction to the towers I was hoping to pick up was directly out the gable end of my steeply pitched roof. So I mounted the antenna at the end of my attic facing the towers at 40 degrees magnetic with 0 offset in the panels. Figured I would start here and adjust as necessary. I ended up getting every channel I was targeting right out of the gate. So I'm thinking that, at least for now, leaving well enough alone.