TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Oct-2013, 5:51 PM   #1
rathin1980

Exclamation Outdoor Antenna help in Fishers, Indiana

Hi, I have a Leaf with the amp now sticking on my window. the cable runs to the basement to the HDHomeRun tuner. the reception is not that great and even the strongest signals (6.1) sometimes during a rainy day gets pixelated. Also donlt get some of the channels that are in the green zone too (8.1) and not sure why. I am trying to see if I can get a better antenna and get more channels/ good reception under bad weather.

here is the link to TVFool report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeba0d1d7f68

please note the house is north facing and I have a south facing backyard. most channels looks like comes from south for me. I also have a DirecTV mount on the ground in my backyard which I am planning to use for the antenna. The pipe is probably about 4-5Ft tall. I have clear view of the sky from that point although the house behind me is about 20 yards apart. So ideally looking for an outdoor antenna that will mount to the pipe and reuse the DirecTV cable to connect to HDHomeRun.
Hope I have given enough info. please feel free to let me know if you need a pic of the view from my backyard!

Thanks,
R
rathin1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2013, 6:26 PM   #2
teleview

Praticle and Usefull Information.

Install a ANT751 antenna above the peak of the roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , South , South West , West , North West , North , North East.

Aim the ANT751 antenna at about 200 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Home Depot and Lowes may or may not have the ANT751 in stock in the store , no mater what the Home Depot and Lowes web sites say.

Here are more places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

Test reception with a New Continues Length Of Coax connected to the ANT751 antenna , run the New Continues Length Of Coax through a open window or door direct to 1 Tv.

No couplers , No grounging coupler , No splitters , No amplifiers , No HD Home Run , No computer , No etc. .

Digital Broadcast tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

_______

Last edited by teleview; 10-Oct-2013 at 1:27 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 9-Oct-2013, 6:56 PM   #3
rathin1980

thanks

thanks but you are pretty much asking me to have clear view on all directions. why do I need on the north side? I am just asking so I can learn why...
oh and how about the Clearstream4 or 2 from amazon? will that work? the one you recommended, is that directional?

thanks,
R
Old 9-Oct-2013, 7:37 PM   #4
teleview

Praticle and Useful Information.

The main groups of Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels are to the , West , South West.

And WNDY-TV Real UHF channel 32 MyNetwork to the North at 10 degree magnetic compass direction is receivable.

And WIPB Real UHF channels 23 PBS to the North East at 78 degree magnetic compass direction is receivable.

The Tv reception at your location is strong to medium signal strengths.

The ANT751 antenna is not very directional and does a good job of receiving at the , front , front angles , back and back angles , to the ANT751 antenna.

The Best Pratice is to get the ANT751 antenna or any other antenna Up In The Air so the antenna is free of obstructions in the directions in the directions of reception so Reliable Reception Can Happen.

________
Old 9-Oct-2013, 8:31 PM   #5
rathin1980

I think I understand...

Thank you for explaining and making it clear. So for getting clear reception, are you suggesting that I mount it in the roof? I am not a roof guy and afraid of height! I was going to send a screenshot of my backyard but couldn't Pm you. Will that help? If I want to avoid the roof what other options do I have? Oh and if I put the antenna in like attic, do I have to worry about lighting etc?
Old 9-Oct-2013, 8:43 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

As teleview has already said, the ideal location for an antenna is generally high and clear of obstructions.

However, you are certainly free to experiment with other locations. As long as you get reliable reception, I think everyone should be delighted.

Attic mounting does offer protection from the elements, if you get reliable reception from in the attic, the antenna will last indefinitely and, as you say, there will be far less risk from lighting.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Oct-2013, 3:47 PM   #7
teleview

Practical and Useful information.

Disconnect and Remove satellite system passive and active devices such as and not limited to , multi-plexers , combiners , seperators , splitters , amplifiers , power injectors , power supplies , and etc. .

Yes the satellite system coaxs and other coaxes that are in/on the building can be used to get the antenna reception from point A to point B.