TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Sep-2011, 3:38 AM   #1
DennisC

Configuring recommended antennas & preamp

I now have the recommended 2 antennas, preamp, 10' mast and all material necessary to install on top of our 2-story home but I have a couple questions.

Here is my original information:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e745f1f7ad2cb

I have the AntennaCraft U8000 with the Antenna Direct CPA-19 preamplifier to be pointed at 350 degrees on a magnetic compass.

I have the Wingard YA 1713 antenna to be pointed South toward the Louisville stations.

My questions are
1. Where exactly do I install UVSJ to combine the signal of both antennas since I assume preamp will be attached to the AntennaCraft U8000 antenna only. Is the UVSJ mounted after & below the preamp U8000 connection but still attached to the mast? If so will the current from the preamp transformer (which will be mounted in crawl space of home) have any affect on the other (Wingard) antenna?
2. Is there any problem running the coax from the roof down the exterior wall (2 story home) and then through the foundation so we can run it across the house in the crawl spase (because all of my in-house cabeling is on other side of house). From antenna to foundation 30' and house width is about 40' (total of about 70' to 80'' from antenna to main in-house cabeling box).
3. Can the Wingard YA 1713 be mounted on the top part of 10' mast (since it takes very little space on the mast) with the roughly 36' square shaped AntennaCraft U8000 mounted below? The mast will be mounted to the 48" tall chimmney (gas log fire place used 1 ot 2 times a winter). How much room is required between the 2 antennas?
4. Actually I have hired an electrician to do the install but he and his men are not experts with TV antennas and I want to pay close attention so I can get it completed properly the first time. If you know of any thing else that might be helpful please advise.

Thank you
Dennis
DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2011, 3:55 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Given the weak signal from WBNA, real channel 8, I would combine the two antennas using the UVSJ on the mast. Then, feed the CPA-19 with the combined output of the UVSJ. The CPA-19 would also mast mount. The VHF signals will benefit from the preamp in the same way the UHF signals do.

Try to mount the antennas at least than 3' from each other.

As a rule of thumb, the UHF would do best on top... but I doubt any but the best pro-grade test gear would show the difference in most cases.

Be sure to use coax seal on the exposed connectors.

Running down the exterior wall surface to the foundation is good. Ideally, the coax ground block would locate outside, adjacent to the penetration into the building.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 3-Sep-2011 at 3:59 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2011, 7:56 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Coax seal , http://www.amazon.com/protects-types.../dp/B0002ZPINC
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2011, 8:10 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

I just bought some Scotch brand #2228 "Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape" at Home Depot. $8.97 for a 1" X 10' role.

One role is enough to do several installs. It was quicker for me to by local, and no shipping.

Old 3-Sep-2011, 3:32 PM   #5
DennisC

I do appreciate your assistance GroundUrMast.

I do have the coax seal, and we are planning to put the ground block at the penetration point in the foundation. The ground rod is 3/8" X 4' and is copper plated - hopefully that is acceptable.

Can the insulated copper ground wire be placed next to the coax cable and share the same exterior wall fasteners down the side of the house?

Again, Thank You
Dennis
DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2011, 4:48 PM   #6
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Yes the ground wire and coax can share the same fasteners. Yes the 4 foot ground rod is Ok. Yes the Scotch 2228 mastic tape is excellent , the mastic tape seals to its self and what it is put on , it seals so well that the only way to get it off is to cut it off.

Last edited by John Candle; 3-Sep-2011 at 4:55 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2011, 6:07 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
... The ground rod is 3/8" X 4' and is copper plated - hopefully that is acceptable.

Can the insulated copper ground wire be placed next to the coax cable and share the same exterior wall fasteners down the side of the house?

Again, Thank You
Dennis
Many people overlook grounding... so you're already doing better than most. Ideally, the new ground rod will be connected to the existing ground system that serves your electrical system.

Regarding wire next to coax, as JC says, yes that's fine.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 3-Sep-2011 at 7:04 PM.