TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Mar-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Denise

Unhappy I broke up with Comcast

Hello,
I'd like to be able to receive network tv channels ie. ABC, NBC, CBS, and ION, pbs, metv, kofy. According to my report the signal in Windsor is very weak. Would an antennae even do the trick? I'm kind of confused by all of this as I've always had cable. Also, I've tried googling "structured wiring" in my area and I don't get results for installing an antennae, just for setting up home sound systems.
Here is my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0d4f331b234

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Denise
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2015, 4:39 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

There are some significant hills/mountains between you and the San Francisco transmitters. The good news is that those hills/mountains are more than 20 miles from you so they will have less impact than they would if close into your location.

Still, you'll need a full sized, outdoor antenna system if you're to hope for reception of the San Francisco signals.

A few options: Antennacraft HBU-55, Winegard HD7698P or the combination of an Antennas Direct DB8E (or 91XG) + an Antennacraft Y10713.

I'd call or email the structured wiring contractors that you've found... just because they don't highlight OTA antenna installation and service in their advertising doesn't mean the don't provide that type of service. It would be prudent to enquire about the type of test equipment that they have available for optimizing aim and checking signal quality at the TV.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2015, 5:46 PM   #3
Denise

Thank you so much for your reply. I seem to be equal distance away from both SF and Sacramento tv signals. Do you think SF would be by best bet for reception?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2015, 6:03 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

The terrain between you and the Sacramento area is more formidable. I don't see the Sacramento signals being a viable option at your location.

When you look at your TV Fool report, you'll see a column titled 'NM (dB)'... as that number drops below zero, you are at a point where reliable reception is going to require the use of extreme measures. As the NM value drops into double digit negative values, intermittent reception would be the the most one could reasonably hope for.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote