TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Apr-2012, 11:55 PM   #21
signals unlimited

I noticed that three of your channels are VHF. If these are the channels with problems, it could be FM interference. You have no amplifier so you have nothing in your system to stop FM. Traps are available at www.solidsignals.com
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2012, 12:47 AM   #22
Buffaloed in Montana

Thank you for that input too. We are learning so much. This is so interesting!
As it appears, all the channels are affected, even the one analog channel. But we can see the benefits of just an amplifier are important.

Last edited by Buffaloed in Montana; 11-Apr-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Buffaloed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2012, 12:50 AM   #23
Buffaloed in Montana

I don't know why we don't think of these logical things. We don't know that neighbor at all (I woke him up/works nights). But we do have a friend farther away who's antenna works. Will do!
Old 11-Apr-2012, 12:57 AM   #24
Buffaloed in Montana

Again, yes, we will definitely try the TV at a friend's.
I will work on trying to get pictures.
Thanks!
Old 11-Apr-2012, 1:21 AM   #25
Buffaloed in Montana

Dave
We only have one small not-so-great radio, but tried it and I think the AM and FM are about normal for reception. Thanks!
Old 11-Apr-2012, 9:45 PM   #26
Buffaloed in Montana

GroundUrMast:
I couldn't get the pics to upload. Have to resize(?) or something for the limits to upload them here, and was unable to figure out how to do that. I'm on the outer fringes of understanding any of that stuff.
Our antenna is only 6' long, compared to our friend's-also from Radio Shack-which is 16'. She also has an amplifier. We took the TV there today and tried it--Nada.
So it would appear the tuner has gone bad. I called an electronics store and they seem to think it a little unusual that that would happen and still be able to play DVDs OK.
The TV is 6 yrs old, and just for them to look at it will cost $50. So we'll have to decide which way we want to go on that.
It's evidently as you said--more than one thing can go wrong. The other problem would seem to be the converter box. It won't control either of the 2 old TVs.
Next, the size and strength of the antennas with no amplifier is not going to help the situation.
Do you have a recommendation on an antenna and any additional equipment?

Last edited by Buffaloed in Montana; 11-Apr-2012 at 9:49 PM.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 2:39 AM   #27
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed in Montana View Post
... The other problem would seem to be the converter box. It won't control either of the 2 old TVs.
Converter boxes do not control TVs. Converter boxes receive ATSC digital signals, convert these signals into analog signals, and retransmit them to your TV or VCR. Common retransmission paths include RF via NTSC Channel 3 or NTSC Channel 4, composite video, or S-Video. In the case of NTSC broadcast signals, the better converter boxes pass them through.

A converter box has essentially the same relationship with your old analog TV as does a VCR. If you use an RF connection, then you set the TV and converter box to the same RF channel--either RF3 or RF4. Thereafter, use the converter box's remote control to change channels. If your converter box is connected to your TV via composite video or S-Video inputs, then set your TV to one of its auxiliary ports. Use your converter box remote control to change channels.

While using your converter box, your TV's remote control controls only the ON/OFF, the volume, and other inputs. Your converter box's remote control controls only the converter box.

Last edited by MisterMe; 21-Apr-2012 at 3:47 AM.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2012, 3:41 AM   #28
Buffaloed in Montana

I think we get the gist of that, and it could be that things got changed and they were not on the same page. Using the conv. box remote, it would not turn on the TV or change the channels. We'll see if we can fiddle with it and see if that will correct the problem.
My husband is very good with most things, but electronics can stump him.

Last edited by Buffaloed in Montana; 12-Apr-2012 at 3:46 AM.
Old 15-Apr-2012, 2:53 PM   #29
Buffaloed in Montana

Antenna adequate?

Now that we have narrowed down our reception problems (bad TV tuner, splitter bad) we wonder if it would be wise to buy a bigger, better antenna.
What would be appropriate for our situation to ensure good reception for all the main channels available closest to us?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...36166c83f5d149

Thanks so much for all your help! We would still be in the dark without it.
Old 15-Apr-2012, 3:59 PM   #30
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Now that we have narrowed down our reception problems (bad TV tuner, splitter bad) we wonder if it would be wise to buy a bigger, better antenna.
What would be appropriate for our situation to ensure good reception for all the main channels available closest to us?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...36166c83f5d149

Thanks so much for all your help! We would still be in the dark without it.
If you were satisfied with the reception until the problem(s) developed, it's hard to suggest that you spend money on a larger antenna. That your friend / neighbor is using a larger antenna and an amplifier is not proof that you'll need too. Signal condition change a great deal from one lot to another in hilly and mountainous terrain. Your TVFR shows line of sight to most of the available stations. Someone not far from your location could be blocked by more terrain and thus need a much larger antenna than you.

Many of the new TVs and converter boxes have some sort of signal meter built in. If you purchase a new set or converter, be sure it has a signal meter. As a next step, I'd like to know if the existing antenna is producing a good signal. The steps outlined in earlier posts in this thread already explain how to use a process of elimination to determine whether the antenna is too small or defective. That trouble shooting process depends on a working TV. A TV with a signal meter included helps to judge the strength/quality of the signal.

Having said all that, if I was staring from scratch, I'd use a Winegard HD7694P pointed north, at about 5° compass. If the cable run was less than 100', and I was connecting a single tuner, I would not use an amplifier of any sort. I would ground the mast. And separately, I would ground the coax. (I would want to take reasonable steps to protect my TV tuner from damage due to static electricity.) http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Apr-2012 at 4:02 PM. Reason: Added link to thread 901
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 11:50 PM   #31
Buffaloed in Montana

Thank you for all that very valuable info on grounding. My husband will be reading the links and doing that.
We will keep the antenna model # for future reference.

Our older TVs (about 2004) have a signal strength gauge on the menu. (I'm assuming that's the same as a "signal meter" you speak of) They both register about 65-67% strength.
Old 16-Apr-2012, 5:16 AM   #32
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Thank you for all that very valuable info on grounding. My husband will be reading the links and doing that.
We will keep the antenna model # for future reference.

Our older TVs (about 2004) have a signal strength gauge on the menu. (I'm assuming that's the same as a "signal meter" you speak of) They both register about 65-67% strength.
Signal meters on consumer grade TVs and converters are not calibrated to any common standard. So 65-67% may mean "great signal" on one set and "on the ragged edge of terrible" on another. But they are still useful because they will indicate if a change or adjustment has made the signal better or worse.

If the set is only capable of tuning analog signals, the meter will be less useful because it will only indicate to strength of the signal from the converter box, not the antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2012, 3:06 PM   #33
Buffaloed in Montana

Thumbs up

We'll start with a new TV, then go from there. That will take a little while, so will get back to you with that signal info.
Thanks again for all your help!
We ought to at least send you a bottle of wine or something!
Old 20-Apr-2012, 3:26 PM   #34
Buffaloed in Montana

We got a TV we could afford and has a good warrantee, but unfortunately does not have a signal meter. (I was told most TVs don't have them now)

Anyway, we have the same reception we had before all this started, and at least that's good. (The one analog channel has always been a little grainy)

So I guess we'll leave things as they are for now, but may try that better antenna in the future that you recommended.

Again, we can't thank you enough for all your time, attention, and expertise!

Forgot to mention: my husband grounded the mast!

Last edited by Buffaloed in Montana; 20-Apr-2012 at 5:28 PM.
Old 20-Apr-2012, 5:59 PM   #35
OldStump

I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but this has been one of the most interesting and fascinating threads I've ever read on any forum anywhere.
OldStump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2012, 9:48 PM   #36
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Thanks OldStump. Yes I know. It's because the the information provided is real , practical , useful and honest information , not useless ego inflating jibber jabber.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2012, 1:04 AM   #37
Buffaloed in Montana

We're very glad this has been helpful info for others. This is indeed an exceptional site with really dedicated, well-informed pros that are sincerely interested in helping others.

Just wanted to say to MisterMe:
That info reminded us that the converter box needed to be reprogrammed. For some reason it lost the connecting code and channel #. Once we established those again, everything works fine with both older TVs.

(Funny how all these things manage to go wrong at the same time and confuse the whole issue!)
Old 21-Apr-2012, 4:37 PM   #38
Dave Loudin

This HAS been a fascinating thread. A big part was our wanting to understand as best possible from afar what's going on. Recommending a $60 antenna is one thing. Recommending replacing a TV is a whole 'nother matter.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote