TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Aug-2012, 4:38 PM   #1
dssturk

Pre-amp or distribution amp

I just put up a new CM2020 to replace my old Rat-Shack UHF-VHF Yagi with a 120 " boom (not sure of the model) The CM2020 has about the same specs and the same signal issues. After pointing with a direct line in to TV (Sony Bravia) I have 88% signal on best channel (local wyou) and 80% on worst channel (local wolf). When I add the 4 way splitter and then the diplexors I drop down to 80% on strong signal and 72% on weak channel losing about 8%. This is causing more pixelation and audio drop outs and even a total loss of signal at my FTA sat receiver OTA imput. What would be my best bet for getting my signal loss back or even improving it.
The 4 way splitter is to give me OTA to my Sony TV, 2 satalite receivers with OTA imputs and my Sony AV system. Diplexors are Terk and RCA and splitter is Rat-Shack.

I do not know how to incert the link or image/plot I just saved but the channels I need most are local WOLF 56, WNEP 16, WYOU 22, WBRE 28.

PS Thanks thom, here is the link http://www.tvfool.com/modeling/tmp/9...getdigital.php

Last edited by dssturk; 5-Aug-2012 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Tnanks thom, adding link to plot.
dssturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2012, 4:40 PM   #2
thom

link

just paste in the http link for your report from your browser
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2012, 5:03 PM   #3
No static at all

Your best choice would be a 4 output distribution amp. I recommend the Channel Master 3414. It may actually provide better reception than you see with just 1 TV connected.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2012, 5:08 PM   #4
teleview

Link

Not every one knows how to cut and paste.

Here is a way.

Make a tvfool radar plot report using the Exact address and Tv antenna height 25 feet.

At the top of the computer screen is address bar , it starts with , http://

Copy on to a piece of paper string of letters and numbers Exactly like it shows.

Then return to your post here and click on the reply button like you are providing more information in a box like this , look for the blue circle at the top of the box like this , with the double chain link at the bottom of the blue circle , click on the blue circle with chain , a box will appear , type in what you copied on to the paper , in to that box.

If you choose you can also provide your Exact address here and one of us will make the tvfool radar report , or send me a PM Private Message and I will make the tvfool radar report.
Old 5-Aug-2012, 5:09 PM   #5
signals unlimited

It would be helpfull if we had the report, but to answer your amplifier question, I need to assume that your diplexers are being used to combind your satellite and OTA. If so a good start would be to replace the four way splitter with a Channel Master CM3214 four way distribution. That will increase your levels throughout your system, and may be all you need.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2012, 5:46 PM   #6
dssturk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Not every one knows how to cut and paste.

Here is a way.

Make a tvfool radar plot report using the Exact address and Tv antenna height 25 feet.

At the top of the computer screen is address bar , it starts with , http://

Copy on to a piece of paper string of letters and numbers Exactly like it shows.

Then return to your post here and click on the reply button like you are providing more information in a box like this , look for the blue circle at the top of the box like this , with the double chain link at the bottom of the blue circle , click on the blue circle with chain , a box will appear , type in what you copied on to the paper , in to that box.

If you choose you can also provide your Exact address here and one of us will make the tvfool radar report , or send me a PM Private Message and I will make the tvfool radar report.
Already added the link after thom explained. It should be there. Also so far I have 2 distribution amps as a favorite. We may be going for the gold!
Old 5-Aug-2012, 6:51 PM   #7
dssturk

Hope you all can see the report now. I have some answers but they may not be feasible. My splitter is outside. All lines in the apartment are thru diplexors due to the amount on equipment inside and the number of cables coming thru the wall. So sat feed and TV antenna feeds are combined from outside and seperated inside. I can't see how mixing the satalite LNB power and the TV distribution power will work. Maybe I am blinder than I thought or I didn't make this clear.