TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Feb-2011, 3:43 PM   #1
LoTech

Question Stuck in a hole.

Reception at my house is slim to none. TV Fool Report

So far I have been able to reliably get WYMT and WKHA, but WCYB still eludes me. The report above is for the location with the best possible reception of WCYB on my property (according to TV Fool).

Would it be possible (or reasonable) to use a VHF low antenna and a big pre-amp to get this signal to my house which is about 300 feet away? I'm open to suggestions if someone else has a better idea.
LoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 5:05 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Sure, it's (likely) possible and may work. It's likely your best and only chance.

A VHF-only pre-amp such as the AP-3700 would be expected to drive a VHF-5 signal 500-700 ft through RG6 coax. If you used RG11, you could likely go a bit further, perhaps 20% more.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 5:16 PM   #3
No static at all

Unfortunately a VHF-LO station with a noise margin that low will be impossible to receive reliably.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 5:20 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTech View Post
Would it be possible (or reasonable) to use a VHF low antenna and a big pre-amp to get this signal to my house which is about 300 feet away? I'm open to suggestions if someone else has a better idea.
Here's what I'd do.

I'd install a beambender on the top of the mountain that's 3/4 mile SE of your house at 37.144445,-82.83597. Here's the tvfool report for that location http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e07cb01bcdfbe2

To make it work you'd need two Y5-2-6 antennas, a 20 +/- db gain preamp, a channel 5 bandpass filter, an MATV amplifier with about 50 db of amplification, a solar cell, and a battery.

The antenna aimed at channel 5 would be on the SE side of the peak, the second antenna would be on the NW side of the hill and aimed at your house. The antennas would be mounted 100' or more apart. They could be closer if the hill itself shielded them from each other.

This is the right filter. It goes between the preamp and the MATV amplifier.
http://www.summitsource.com/pico-mac...5-p-10398.html

This is the type of MATV amplifier that's needed.

http://www.summitsource.com/50-db-di...mp-p-8557.html

Mount the antennas and solar panel to trees. Camouflage the solar panel. Bury the battery and amplifier in a watertight cooler. Run RG-6 coax along the ground, or bury it if you can.

http://www.axcera.com/downloads/tech...technote_7.pdf'

Last edited by Tower Guy; 11-Feb-2011 at 5:34 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 5:22 PM   #5
LoTech

Quote:
A VHF-only pre-amp such as the AP-3700 would be expected to drive a VHF-5 signal 500-700 ft through RG6 coax. If you used RG11, you could likely go a bit further, perhaps 20% more.
Thanks. What antenna would you suggest for this setup?
Old 11-Feb-2011, 5:28 PM   #6
LoTech

Quote:
To make it work you'd need two Y5-2-6 antennas, a 20 +/- db gain preamp, a channel 5 bandpass filter, an MATV amplifier with about 50 db of amplification, a solar cell, and a battery.
This sounds intriguing. Would that work through all the trees on the mountain? I'm afraid that I would invest a lot of money only to have nature filter out the signal when the leaves start to sprout.
Old 11-Feb-2011, 5:43 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
This sounds intriguing. Would that work through all the trees on the mountain?
Yes, channel 5 will penetrate the trees. Even so, it's a major science project with multiple things to design and install properly.
Old 11-Feb-2011, 5:54 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Might also depend on whether he owns or can get access to that mountain.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2011, 7:49 AM   #9
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Run 2 more tvfool reports. One with the antenna height at 30 feet and one with the antenna height at 60 feet. I will provide simpler information about Tv reception. . How many Tv's will be connected??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2011, 1:29 PM   #10
LoTech

30 foot Report 60 foot Report

It seems that the signal gets worse with height. It maxes out at 5-15 ft in this location.
Old 12-Feb-2011, 2:48 PM   #11
John Candle

I see improvements in signal strength as the height goes up at 37.15 / -82.84 . Watch those Callsign letters , the Tv Stations , some change places as the height goes up. . At 60 feet it looks like this WYMT 26.1 , WAGV 2.0 , WKHA -0.3 , WCYB -8.3 . . WCYB went down 2.3 . The others went up , some a lot. . At the >>StartMAPS<< part of tvfool the antenna can be moved around and up and down looking for better reception.

Last edited by John Candle; 13-Feb-2011 at 7:29 PM.
Old 12-Feb-2011, 3:57 PM   #12
John Candle

If you send a private message with the address of the house , I can be of more help with WCBY 5 and the other channels
Old 12-Feb-2011, 5:08 PM   #13
John Candle

Lo Tech has Many other posts. Is your antenna/antennas still in the attic??
Old 13-Feb-2011, 9:59 AM   #14
John Candle

A phenomenon known as ground wave Tv reception might work at your location for channel 5. A Winegard YA 6260 low band Tv antenna will be no more then 1 foot above ground , the antenna can be rotated by hand to find the strongest reception. -6.2 NM(dB) . I have sent a private message of the antenna location. Go to the >>Start MAPS<< part of tvfool and put in the latitude/longitude. Here are 2 Ultra Low Noises amplifiers you can select from. http://www.researchcomms.com , http://www.kitztech.com . At >>Start MAPS<< the antenna can be moved around , searching for better or worse reception conditions.

Last edited by John Candle; 13-Feb-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 14-Feb-2011, 8:30 AM   #15
John Candle

Here is one to check out Go to slingbox demo day at BestBuy. The singbox tuner can be at a place that gets good strong reception of the channel/channels you will like to watch and transmits the Tv channel any where there is a internet connection , even your house. The sling box Tv receiver can be at some ones house or apt. or condo etc.. The sling box tv receiver receives the channel and transmits on the internet to your house.

Last edited by John Candle; 17-Feb-2011 at 7:12 AM.
Old 14-Feb-2011, 2:02 PM   #16
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
Here are 2 Ultra Low Noises amplifiers you can select from.
Ultra low noise figure preamps offer almost no advantage on low band VHF. The atmospheric noise is so high on channel 5 that an off the shelf preamp is as good as necessary.
Old 14-Feb-2011, 2:08 PM   #17
LoTech

Thanks for all the info guys. Really! I'm going to have to do some investigating as to where I can get signal, and what that signal strength is before I continue. I'm liking the idea of a passive repeater, but I'm apprehensive about starting the project. Oh well, a new work week starts and it'll be a few days before I find anything out. I'll post back with my results - positive or negative.
Old 14-Feb-2011, 4:02 PM   #18
Tower Guy

Quote:
I'm liking the idea of a passive repeater.
In your case totally passive won't work, the signal is too weak to start with. Some gain is necessary, but how much depends on multiple variables. I calculate that you'd need about 50 db of gain, and if the TX/RX antennas are 100' part, more than that amount of gain would not work (due to feedback). That's a small margin for error, so plan on 200' of separation or install the antennas on different sides of the hilltop.

The Eagle Aspen MATV amp that I posted earlier shows different gain specs on the Eagle Aspen web site than the Summit Source web site. You could start with two high gain preamps such as the Channel Master 7777, yet the solar power interface for the amp will need to be designed. I don't have a 7777 to reverse engineer. The Winegard AP series of amps uses a 18 volt wall wart supply with a three terminal regulator inside the preamp. I didn't take one apart to determine the voltage on the three terminal regulator. The HDP-269 amp doesn't have enough gain.

Strictly speaking, a booster must be licensed, but if you use the least amount of gain necessary and a channel 5 filter, no one will know. Your neighbors (not that you have many) could also access the signal.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 14-Feb-2011 at 4:45 PM.
Old 16-Feb-2011, 3:17 PM   #19
LoTech

I've done some checking, and the terrain is just too rough to get to the top of the mountain to the southeast. There is a spot on top of a little mined out plateau to the northwest at 37.149474,-82.844778 (you have to look at the satellite imagery because the terrain features aren't exactly correct). If I set the antenna height at 1 foot it shows that I could get WCYB at a noise margin of about 9. With the antennas that Iceberg mentioned, would this be enough signal to set up a passive repeater (or amplified) to beam the signal back down into the valley below about 750-1000 feet LOS? If so, where would I place the transmitting antenna? The problem I see is that I would have to put the transmitting antenna almost in the same direction as where the signal is coming from.
Old 16-Feb-2011, 4:01 PM   #20
Tower Guy

Quote:
There is a spot on top of a little mined out plateau to the northwest at 37.149474,-82.844778 (you have to look at the satellite imagery because the terrain features aren't exactly correct). If I set the antenna height at 1 foot it shows that I could get WCYB at a noise margin of about 9. .
With a NM of 9 db I think that the low band noise would doom the project. Even if it didn't, your amplifier gain would need to be about 75 db. That would mean that the antennas would need to be about 1600 ft apart and spaced horizontally so that they don't aim at each other in order to work properly. From that location, 1600' of cable would almost reach your house.

I have actually built a beambender and know the process very well. You can see it here: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r2q...q=hancock%20ma (rotate the image left for a better view)

It has a 4' dish aimed at Pittsfield, an 8' dish aimed toward Altamont, and 50 db of gain. It's mounted on a 60' tower and powered by a solar panel and two 12 volt deep cycle batteries. It works on 2 GHz.